Will these fit?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Dalonzo96, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Dalonzo96

Dalonzo96 New Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Ontario
    Hi, new to the fourm. I have a 1981 camaro z28 that i purchased about 4 months ago and iching to start a build. I came across a set of xxr 531 black mesh rims wraped in michelin super sport tires for a good price. Fronts are 18x8.5 +35mm offset wraped in 265/35s rears 19x10 +15mm offset wraped in 295/30s. Wondering if these will fit my stock camaro? Will be ordering hotchkis stage 1 tvs suspension and new shocks, so will need to know if it will fit with that suspension set up cause it will be lower. Thanks in advance

2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    There is no way to guarantee they will fit.

Rear tires: Your car may be like most and the rear end housing is not perfectly centered under the car. That will give you different clearances on either side by a little bit. The 295 is a big tire to tuck in and you will have to roll the underside of the fender and maybe even smash in the seatbelt hump with a sledge hammer. I suggest putting the rear axle housing on jackstands and hanging a plumb bob from the outermost areas like the leaf spring, shocks, outer fenders etc and put some masking tape on the floor so you can mark where everything is. You can get real close to where the tire will be in this area by taking into account backspace and actual tire sidewall measurement.

Front tires: These sometimes hit the back of the wheel well at full lock. Look at the current tires and see if there is room for more width at full lock. Some hit the front at opposite lock. Once again, it may be good to do the masking tape plumb bob thing here too. Put the jack/stand under the LCA so the suspension is at ride height and also take into account the suspension under compression. See where it may hit if you hit a bump while turning.

I wish there was an easy to say, "Yeah, it will fit fine." but, there really isn't. Our cars are older and a little "bent" as well. All Camaros are different in little ways. Some fit what others don't in the wheel wells.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Backspace calculated to well over 6 inches... way too much

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    In my opinion, you will have problems with the combination you describe. Here is a really nice tire and wheel comparison calculator to compare stock to what you are thinking of trying. http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

For example:
    The front tires are shorter and fatter, but the main problem will be the +35 mm positive offset. That will put the brake side of the wheel and tire closer to the frame by almost an inch and a half from stock. You will most likely rub the frame on hard turns. Generally on a stock front end a zero to -6 mm offset is no problem. Beyond that increases the risk of issues.

The rear setup you propose MIGHT work. The 295x30x19 is a diameter of 26" which is stock size. No issues there. The tread width is 11.6". Much wider than stock, but many of us have fit 12" widths under our Camaros without issue, but the +15 mm offset means the brake side of the tire is going to be very close to the leaf spring. You may still tuck under the wheel lip, but like Dave said, it depends on your suspension travel and centering of the rear. I think you will have issues.

Hopefully someone with a similar setup can chime in and advise you further. If it were me, I would look for 7" to 8" front rims with 0 offset or close to that (about 4" to 4.25" backspace) and for 10" rear wheels also shoot for 0 offset (5.25" to 5.5" Max backspace).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. Dalonzo96

Dalonzo96 New Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Ontario
    Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe ill see if i can mount them on the car and see if they work before purchasing them if the seller is ok with that.

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    They are going to hit on the inside both front and rear.

7. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

Nov 27, 2008
    San jose,CA
    I have a buddy that just got a set for his newer style mustang and look good..

Im curious on these wheels as well but not sure on the offset and whatnot to get either. I saw a post on protouring where a guy had intrest in the xxr521 which are almost similar and mentioned adapters which I don't mind .

Just want a close offset

8. 408maro

408maro Veteran Member

Nov 27, 2008
    San jose,CA
    On protouring he was looking at 18x8.5 fronts with +25 offset and rear 18x10 with +25 offset