Will at '79 Pulse Wiper Switch work on a '78?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by w10085, Oct 26, 2017.

1. w10085

w10085 New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    North Carolina
    The title says it all. My .78 Z28 is missing the switch and I found a '79. It looks different and I'm not able to do a thorough search. Thanks for the help!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The dash changed, so likely the switch was changed too. You may or may not be able to mount the switch in the dash. The wiper delay system was basically the same, but when GM makes a switch change, they often change more things like the plugs and wiring. The only way to know for sure is to have both styles and compare them.

3. w10085

w10085 New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info. It appears the writing is 90 degrees off but I didn't know if the function was the same. My wiring harness is cut so I would have to deal with the plugs anyway. I'm stuck until I find a 78 switch or a workaround to use the stand

4. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    I'm going to look at a couple of cars Monday. If there is a 78 there I will grab the switch.

5. w10085

w10085 New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks! From what I've been told on this forum 1978's with a pulse wiper system is a little rare. It appears the switch was only used for a year or so. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I always thought the Camaro delay wiper switch looked exactly like the truck delay wiper switch. I never investigated further though. If you are walking through junkyards take a look at the truck switches too.

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    You can also check the GM A and B body cars. They used the same system with their own special switches to match their dashes. Perhaps one of those cars will have a switch that fits into the Camaro.
    In the past I've pulled a delay wiper system from a Monte Carlo (A body) and installed it in a Caprice (B body). All the parts were the same with the exception of the switch. The B body required a B body switch to be able to mount it in the dash.
    I'm not sure about the 70s pickups, but starting in 1981, the pickups didn't have the depressed park wiper system so nothing from 81 and later fits the depressed park wiper system.

8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I thought the 79 switches were the rare ones. I honestly don't think it will work as a direct swap.

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you checked other GM cars ?

10. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    There is no other delay wiper switch that will directly fit a Camaro from another GM car. The 77-78 Camaro are the same switch, the '79 Camaro is a one year only switch, , and the 80-81 are the same.
    The full size Chevrolet ( B body ) uses the same switch and connectors, but the mounting is different.
    I have used power window switches from pick up trucks form the 70's to 80's, but I'm not sure if any of the pulse wiper switches will work or fit.

John