Who sells a new copper heater core for air. cond. 2nd gen Camaro

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by patroll, Feb 11, 2017.

1. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    I went to the Auto Zone and they gave me a Spectrum Aluminum heater core , lots of work want a long lasting heater core, car has A/C . 1975 Camaro getting there anybody know??? Haven't installed any inputs on this? See some recommend the Copper heater core.

2. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I got one from Rock Auto, I believe it is a cooper heater code..... Been a while since I've looked at it. It sits in a box now since I'm not using the stock box.

3. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 16, 2012
    NorCal
    When i did mine, I went with one from Summit thinking they're all the same. It leaked immediately :mad:
    Got one from Classic and it's doing great!

both were copper ......

patroll likes this.
  4. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    Thanks ,glad you brought that subject up , I have a A/C car , its a bear to wrestle that heater core out, you want to pressure test it for sure . Had someone do the replacement in 1986, the car was 11 years old then . There's 2 bolts out side and 2 inside, several little bolts , glove box insert ,console , I dropped my inner fender, to get easy access to the hoses and ,change the old blower, may have taken to many thing off on the HVAC housing that's fine ,I got it out. Saw one on Amazon that appears to be copper ,EBay's looked all aluminum. Amazons heater core writing said it may be of other components, hope it as pictured ,that was in copper.

5. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    I didn't see one on Rock Auto that looked like copper.

6. lumpy12

lumpy12 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 16, 2012
    NorCal
    Yeah, after the first one leaked, I decided price was not a consideration. So I wanted the best damn heater core money can buy!
    The Classic wasn't much more $$

7. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Nowheresville
    I'll see if I can find it tonight, and see. I could have swore it was copper but I've been wrong before.

Edit:

I found a pic of it on my phone when I was trying to sell it since I'm not using the stock box in my car. I also looked in rock auto and wow they are all aluminum now.

IMG_1986.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  8. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    No , they still have some copper ones.

9. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    I took my original to a local radiator shop and he located me a new core and I believe he reused my original ends. I think he charged me around $110

10. INSPECTOR57

INSPECTOR57 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member