Who makes a budget AMERICAN tool chest?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by sooner, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I bought a Snap On box used from a going out of business Mac dealer for $1000, and he delivered it to my house. Box is very similar size wise to this, except it's blue.

Strap On had the same thing on his truck (in yellow) for $2500.

New the boxes sold for $4400.

[​IMG]

2. Racer1283

Racer1283 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Batavia, NY, USA
    ...or buy your used toolbox from Nike N.:)

3. Mike N

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    I think that Snappy/Mac combo I sold you was in my garage for 15 years or so before you got it.

4. Racer1283

Racer1283 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Batavia, NY, USA
    And it looks the same, even the WCMF sticker is still there.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Sometimes find a super deal on Craigslist. Be used of course but super quality stuff for cheap. Surprising what's on there in the tool line.

6. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I BOUGHT Kennedy BOXES AT WATETLOO IN POCAHONTAS ARK,MACHINEST TYPE

7. Mike N

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Case in point.........The pic I posted in post #11 was lifted from a CL ad. That box is for sale in Buffalo, NY. Asking price is $1300. Even at the asking price that box is a steal.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/tls/2710165583.html

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  8. 81forme

81forme Veteran Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    i would check sears or a craftsman dealer. ask to see the ones that are built in the US. some but not all are still made in the US. i purchased mine when i was 16, paid a grand for it but it was the top of the line at the time with the roller ball bearing drawers and i am 32 now and the box is still like brand new except for the fall from my wheelers rack when i was moving it from one garage to the other this spring. full of tools locked and all that happened was a small dent where it landed on a rock. best tool box i have had. had a Waterloo box when i was 14 and i hated it that is why i went to the craftsman and the only other one i have looked at is a Kobalt from home depot because i would like a 60" box. just my two cents but i would look into a craftsman cause they can be purchased now for under 500.

9. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

Apr 9, 2007
    petersburg MI
    i have a cheaper craftsman box and it is junk.half of the drawers/tracks are bent to the point that the drawers are sitting on top of each other instead of in the tracks.

10. SRADkneedragger

SRADkneedragger Veteran Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Odessa Texas
    OK giving up my secret here but check local pawn shops have cash in hand and ask them what is the best buy it right now cash price you can do? You might be surprised!

SRAD