Who makes a budget AMERICAN tool chest?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by sooner, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sooner

sooner Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    Like the title says, im in the market for a tool chest and im tired of supporting the Chinese. I have looked a couple of places online, but I have yet to see "Made in the USA" on anything.

Id like to be able to get at least 2 sections of it for $500 or less if possible.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Canadian made is fine with me too! I got love for our brothers up north.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. sooner

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    Does anyone know for sure if waterloo is made in america? I have seen conflicting stories both ways.

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Waterloo was made in USA in Pocahontas ark. they also sub contrack for sears, S@k and others at different times, I had kin that worked their.THey make cheap to very rich tool chest,I have a craftman top and a s@k bottom all came from the Warterloo plant

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. sooner

Mar 11, 2009
    Perry,Ok
    Good deal.

Their stuff seems to be pretty reasonably priced from what I have seen. The only place I can find around here that sells it is Home Depot. If they make Craftsman stuff I guess I will look there too. Thanks!

5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Do not know what they make this year,thay are sub.contractors and make severial different kinds,at different times,Waterloo is there brand name, I hope they dont and don't know if they have a place out of the USA

6. BigEd36

BigEd36 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I see this thread is a little outdated but Kennedy makes their toolboxes in Van Wert, OH. I have one I bought at the factory store, you can buy scratch and dent or regular stock there. http://www.kennedymfg.com/Kennedy/

Ed

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thought I saw made in the USA on the Kobalt boxes at Lowes and they seem to be very nice quality. Saw some deals going on too. If you have a Sears outlet near you check their they always have boxes for good prices there, some perfect some with a scratch or dent. And don't forget craigslist. I don't think $500 for two boxes is gonna get you a real good quality box. I've had my Mac boxes for 30 years, hauled 'em all over the US of A and they still look great and never had any problems with them. Maybe one good quality roll around this year then save up for a nice top chest next year. I The cheap boxes just don't seem to hold up well, I've seen my fair share in peoples garages and the drawers always feel worn out, the cabinets are a thinner guage and get weakened if you move them around a lot. Might want to check out the Homak ones on amazon, don't know if anyone can tell you where they are made though. They seem to be priced pretty well. I have a Waterloo hang on side cabinet, not really happy with it, has (or had) little plastic thing in the cabinet the drawers "snapped" into when they were closed, some are broken so the drawers open by themselves. I really can't stress the feeling you get when you first buy a quality toolbox chest and when 30 years later it is still hanging tough, with drawers packed full.

here is link for Homak

http://www.homaktools.com/index.htm

Update, called Homak, friggin made in China, ya just can't win.

edit two: checked some reviews of Kobalt boxes, the nice stainless ones, all reviews for one box were bad. I love the one guy, you can't get the key out when unlocked, called Kobaly they said it was an improvement so you can't lock your keys in the box, how the hell do you lock you keys in the box? Well I guess if you lock top and a drawer is not fully in, you can usually push it in and it locks, but you would have to drop your key in the drawer first. So it is possible.

I'm doing all I can to find you a box man!

Check this one out, you will have to call and see where they are made:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/tool-storage/chests/440ss-hang-on-side-cabinets-441529-6rd-sc?utm_source=amaz_shop&utm_medium=shp&utm_campaign=Chests-Cabinets-amaz_shop&infoParam.campaignId=T9I

don't forget craigslist.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  8. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Hunt down your local Snap On or Mac dealer and ask them what they have for used boxes. You'd be surprised at what these guys usually have, boxes too small for a pro tech, but perfect for home use.

9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

man that is a good idea! I saw this one yesterday when I was searching the web, pretty good deal, I hate my waterloo but little short of cash right now, these run about $600 normally.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/tool-storage/chests/440ss-hang-on-side-cabinets-441529-6rd-sc?utm_source=amaz_shop&utm_medium=shp&utm_campaign=Chests-Cabinets-amaz_shop&infoParam.campaignId=T9I

10. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    That is how I got my mac box