Who actually makes QUALITY drill bits??

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 76_TypeLT, Jan 26, 2011.

1. SSSnoop

SSSnoop New Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    Kobalt is a company, but as far as I know, they only put out titanium and high speed bits at Lowe's, not cobalt bits - don't get them, they'll dull in a second on metal.

Lowe's does have DeWalt cobalt bits, and those are pretty much the only ones I get over there. They're fairly cheap when you get the sets on sale and they will cut very well. The tips have a tendency to lose bite from chipping and the thinner ones will crack a lot faster than the high speed steel ones - take some care drilling and you won't have a problem. I generally buy several of the smallest ones and have a couple back-up sets - I ain't that careful :D

That, and the life of the bit will be extended if you use a little oil to help extend the life of the bit when your chewing on metal.

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cobalt is a material.

Kobalt is Lowest brand name.

You cab buy Kobalt brand Cobalt made drill bits.

3. screamindemon

screamindemon Veteran Member

Cobalt is a type of alloy... extremely tough. FranKZ gives a good description.

4. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    I'm partial to Diamond Bits,

[​IMG]

Oh you mean for the hand held drill!

Try Dewalt, I usually get decent usage out of them. But in reality you are better off getting a bit sharpener as bits these days are junk really.

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I buy all my GOOD drill bits from McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/# . They "ain't cheap" but you get what you pay for. When you are looking for a drill bit there, McMaster Carr has a million different types for any given size. Jobber length (the most common ones are that length), short, long, HSS (high speed steel), cobalt, carbidel, titanium nitrided, right hand, left hand, etc.

AND they have sets from under $50 to HUNDREDS of $$$! Once you place an order with them, they ship it out the next day. I usually get it in under three days from the day it ships from them but they're only in NJ and I'm in NY.

6. Buckneccid

Buckneccid Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2010
    South Point OH
    Practice with your old bits and learn to sharpen them yourself. From what little experience I had with the Drill Doctor, don't waste your money on them. If you can get the knack for the right angle and a back cut, you can make drill bits last forever with about a 30 second resharpening when it's needed. I have some bits I've been using for years, cut down to about 1 1/2" left above the shank.

7. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Ski Town
    Carbide. hands down. But there so brittle they shatter if you drop them. I don't know where to buy them, McMaster Carr sounds good though. My brother in law runs a small CNC company that makes specialty cutters. He usually drops a hand full of stuff off, like end mills and drills every now and then.

8. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    Clevland Twist Drills are available at all Industrial Supply houses.

They are real HSS (High speed steel) bits & precision made.
    They are used in every machine shop, small or large, especially the large ones.

9. tantara

tantara New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Minnesota
    +1 on the Cleveland

Brad

10. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

cleveland! And a drill doctor, I love mine, although my dad (40 some years)and myself (for a short time period) were machinists, I never got the skill from him or from my work to sharpen a drill bit correctly. The drill doctor does a great job.