Which tie-rod ends are correct??

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by JCSilver80, Dec 6, 2017.

1. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Mobile, AL.
    I need to replace the inner tie-rod ends and adjusting sleeves on the 80 sport coupe. It was originally a V-6 but now has a V-8. Here's my question; what is the difference between the two set-ups? When I look at replacements on RockAuto there are different part numbers for all of the front end components for a 6 versus an 8 cylinder. Would this be for stronger components to account for the added weight? The geometry has to be the same, correct? Just need some answers from the experts on here before I order the replacements, thanks.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Yea, kind of weird. I just did a quick peek at Moog's web site and there is a difference on center link, inner and outer tie rod ends. The sleeves are same. Moog's site doesn't give dimensional info, but just I'd just guess there is a difference in geometry.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It's geometry and clearance, like the Pontiac engine cars. pair everything to the same application. tie rods, centerlink, idler arm. pitman should be the same in all p/s camaros.

4. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    I have all 4 tie rods for a 1980 GP. They are TRW old stock, I'll give you a hell of a deal if they will work.

5. JCSilver80

JCSilver80 Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Mobile, AL.
    Okay, that makes sense but why the change from 79 to 80, were the subframes different? Doing a little more digging into the replacement parts, pitman and idler are the same for both 6 and 8, just center link and tie rod ends are different. I've looked at Rockauto, NPD and Classic. The V-6 inner tie rod ends on all three sites are two to three times as much as the V-8 model. I can get Moog or AC Delco V-8 tie rods and a center link for the same amount of money as just the four V-6 tie rod ends. So maybe that's the way to go.....change it all unless that would create some other issue.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The frames are all the same in that respect

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The V6 has the front of the engine and balancer further back than a V8.

I’m pretty sure it’s a clearance issue.

The difference between 79 and 80 is (IIRC) the 79 was a straight 6.

You can swap a V8 into a V6 Camaro without clearance issues.

Like was pointed out... Use a matched set of everything.
    All V8 or all V6 parts.
    Either works with a V8 swap.