Which is a better compressor?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by cbraswell, Oct 18, 2010.

1. cbraswell

cbraswell Veteran Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Dudley, GA
    I stopped by the local tractor supply todoay looking at their compressors and it confused me a little bit. I was hoping someone could help me with my dilema. I'm looking to purchase an air compressor to sand, turn wrenches,etc.
    The two i looked at were both ingersoll rand compressors. One was a 60gal 18.1 CFM@90 PSI, max pressure 135 with 100% cast iron pump for $799. The other was an 80 gal 24 CFM@90 PSI, max pressure 175 with 100% cast iron two stage pump, and finned intercooler for $1000. But when you look at the tag that tells you what it will run and for how long the 60 gal appeared to be the better choice. I mean it'll just be used as an average hobby like compressor. The 60 gal was labeled as professional and the 80 gal was labeled as industrial..i didnt think to look and see if it was single phase or 3 phase. Both running the same 5 hp motor turning at same rpms

2. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Both are VERY good compressors. My friend is buying the 60gal to run his garage/ shop. I always say bigger is better. You will have plenty of room to grow with the 80gal, but if money is the issue buy the 60gal.

They both should be single phase. Ingersoll is a quality name with a great reputation to boot. They stand behind thier product and customer service is second to none. Whatever one you buy I'm sure you'll be quite happy.

I don't know if that helped you, but good luck anyway!!!

3. tantara

tantara New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have the 24 cfm IR. You will like it if you work by yourself. I plan on mine lasting until I am dead.

24 cfm is a lot more than 18 cfm. A 2 stage pump makes a lot more pressure. If you can afford it, the bigger cfm is better.

Brad

4. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 60 pro compressor will suit all the needs of a home shop. the only time I could immagine it not keeping up with demand is if you are doing some heavy sandblasting and then It will run out of air about the time yer ready for a break anyway.

5. mudtrux

mudtrux Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 7, 2000
    central MN
    I have a similar one to the 60 gallon you stated. It seems to run constantly if I'm grinding, sanding or using an air drill. The tool also slows WAY down while it's running.

I do maintain it with regular oil changes. It's currently for sale.

6. PolarBear

PolarBear Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 24, 2008
    NJ
    I am a little late here but I have experience with both, Bonzo has the 80 gallon and I have the 60. They are both single phase 5hp motors, the major difference is the 2 STAGE of the 80 gallon but the 60 gallon still has 2 pistons in it. I THINK mine fills a little faster than the 80 but because of the capacity obviously it runs more frequently. And even though 24 CFM IS a lot more than the 60 at 18 CFM I think unless you need the higher pressure the 60 is good enough for the home shop. I dont run my tools over 90 PSI really and it seems to keep up with the DA and grinders that I have used.

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The two stage will heat the air less. First stage will typically compress to around 60 PSIG, send the air to the second stage after moving through the intercooler, and compressor to the setpoint. Bottom line, less moisture in the air. If it were me, I'd get the two stage for that reason alone.

8. PolarBear

Apr 24, 2008
    NJ
    Intercooler? Unless it is invisible there is none on either of those units. Also water is water, unless you dry the air out before it gets compressed you are still going to get some in the output

9. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    It's printed right in his post....intercooler. The two stage compressor, as outlined in his post, would be the better choice as an air end with the reason I outlined above just one.

10. PolarBear

Apr 24, 2008
    NJ
    Oh, I missed that, it is just a copper tube that connects the two cylinders together and has fins. I dont think it does that much, Scott still gets water in his tank