Which Header Bolts ?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by earnhardtgm3, Sep 9, 2017.

Which Header Bolts for SBC ?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2017.
  1. Proform Wedge-Locking Header Bolts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts

18.2%
  3. ARP Header Bolts 12 Point

36.4%
  4. ARP Header Bolts 6 Point

36.4%
  5. Mr Gasket HEADLOCK Locking Header Bolts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Percy's Vibe-Lock Header Bolts

9.1%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    Having to replace my header gaskets and want to replace the header bolts. Currently using the
    Proform Wedge Locking 3/8-16x.750. Just wondering if there are better ones to use. Prefer to replace with ones that won't rust. I have had to make specialty wrenches in the past to tighten the bolts at times as well.

Do you prefer 12 point or 6 point for ease of tightening ?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I find that any header bolts work well if you have good gaskets. The problem with header bolts loosening isn't the fault of the bolts. It is the fault of the gaskets compressing or burning out and allowing the bolts to be loose. With good gaskets, I have headers that have stayed tight for 15+ years without needing to be tightened.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    ^ True dat!

6 point tend to be easier to get a wrench on.

12 point bolts require a socket or box end wrench and there often times isn't enough room for them next to the tubes.
    I tried 12 point... they were quickly abandoned for 6 point when I discovered that fact.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Stage 8 are a pain in the ass.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Standard style Mr Gasket header bolts found at any auto parts stores . No need for fancy gimmicky locking designs they're not needed

Its not the header bolts that loosen its the gaskets . instead get quality dead soft aluminum or copper gaskets

I'm running Remflex header gaskets and they've been leak free going on 10 years

6. 70Znut

70Znut Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    X2 ...I'm with Twisted_Metal
    And a little safety wire never hurts...
    Header bolt safety wire.jpg

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I used ARP stainless also with Mr. Gasket copper header gaskets with on leaks.

8. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I agree it's not the bolts, but sometimes it's not the gasket's fault either. Look at the primary tube on the inside of the flange where it mates to the head. If the primary tube sticks out past the flange, that's a problem. That makes the contact area 1/4" around the primary and the head, and where the bolts tighten it to the head. In my case, that has always been where the gasket failure starts. Grind off the excess primary to make it flush with the flange. Use a straight edge to make sure you get it level. I've had people tell me "That's the mating flange" and they keep replacing gaskets. I have never had one fail. Have never had the need for expensive gaskets or fancy bolts. 3/8 head 6 point ARP's.

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Common 6 point bolts. You can't get an open end wrench on the 12 point bolt head. I have to use open end on the back bolt, right side on my Hooker headers.