Which Compressor??? (light-medium duty)

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by BeefTip, Nov 22, 2014.

1. BeefTip

BeefTip Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Phenix City, AL
    Looking to get my dad a compressor for his shop for Christmas. I do not need a big compressor...just a 110 around 30 gal.

My dad does absolutely no work with cars, just garden/farm type use. He may need an impact gun once a year to take bolts off a bush hog or something, but that is about it...no grinders/paint etc. I just want something that will last for a while and provide decent air if needed.

ive looked at the Craftsman Pro 27 gal for 449.00. seems like a decent unit. Im also going to look at the husky 30 gal. It runs around 430 or so, so basically the same thing.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or good/bad experiences. here are the two i've considered. These are both oiled units btw.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-prof...rtical-portable/p-00916474000P?adCell=REC_1_0
    [​IMG]

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-gal-Ultra-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C301H/203187352
    [​IMG]

2. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2010
    SanAntonio Tx
    Either one of those would be more than enough. Both of them are good.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    According to the specs, the Sears compressor puts out a bit more CFM. CFM is what matters on a compressor, so if you can get them for the same price, go with the one that has the most CFM.
    Since they are so close to equal, get the best price you can on them, and decide from that if the tiny bit of CFM difference matters.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the Kobalts at Lowes made by Cambell hausfeld. I have been running a small 5 HP 30 gal Cambell Hausfeld one for about 14 years in my garage. Plugged in 24/7, beat it with sandblasting, using a DA, shooting ceiling texture and some other high CFM uses and and it keeps going, never a problem. Always change the oil yearly on it.

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    I like the Craftsman a little better, more capacity and higher pressure at 150 psi. Don't see the need for a V-twin comp. in this size unit in the Husky either. But not sure it's $100 better. Might shop around and get a better price, then I'd go with it. For sure, get the oil lubed compressor like these though.

6. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Hiram, GA
    Just remember, those little guys are louder than you would expect so placement in the shop can be an issue.

7. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

Mar 3, 2008
    GLADSTONE, MO
    My neighbor has the Craftsman one and it is very quiet and he loves it. Check the Sears Outlet online and you can find some deals that are even in the stores.

8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    See a Sears 60 gallon vertical with 3.9 HP motor now for $529. Might be more than you/he will need.

9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like the husky with the cast iron compressor more than the sears with the aluminum.

10. cmonson

cmonson Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    Regardless of what you purchase, buy an oiled compressor.

I had (before it broke a rod on the piston) a 60 gal oil less craftsman. It served its purpose for the time, however a couple years ago I stepped up to an Oiled type IR. Regardless of the improved specs, the reduced noise alone was worth the costs.