Which Clutch Kit?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by garyt30, Jan 28, 2019.

1. garyt30

garyt30 Veteran Member

I am going to install a new clutch kit in my 79 Z. I have what I believe to be clutch shudder on a new LuK 04-020 clutch kit. It lasted about 200 miles and now I have a shudder when taking off that is worse after driving a little and things get warmed up. This all started after I had found that the spring on the clutch fork was broken. I replaced it, drove it and then I started getting the clutch burning smell. I had a shop do some adjusting but I still have the shudder so I'm just going to replace it.

The flywheel is also brand new.

I have since read that the throwout bearing is junk and I should have bought one from GM instead of using the plastic one from the LuK kit.

I am leaning towards the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch but have read good and bad things about those as well. Specifically the weights coming off.
    Jegs Part Number: 183-KDF485216

My question is which clutch kit is recommended? I don't mind spending the extra money on the Centerforce if it will fix the issue once and for all and last.

Oh and I doubt I'll do anything more that drive it on the street. Around 450hp.

Thanks in advance!

2. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Clutches are like religion and politics ... each person has an opinion and some are more argumentative than others to the point where you are a total idiot for buying the other brand.

Here are my notes:
    1) The plastic throwout bearing ... first I heard of that but that maybe because I always bought a quality one. Please get a new one that is either from the clutch company or GM.
    2) Since you have shutter please check your input shaft clearances and replace your pilot bearing.

As for my opinion, I have used Centerforce DF and they are awesome, I have upgraded to the DFX now because I have over 550HP.

The DF is a light engaging clutch and if you are in the better then stock range (meaning 350hp and under) go for it.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

I had a Centerforce DF in my Camaro for many years and it held up to MANY 7000 RPM shifts. It's still a good clutch and the only reason that I replaced it was because I upped the horse power to 563 and wanted to go to a dual disc clutch. I've got a McLeod RXT in it now and it's also been a good clutch. NAPA has a "made in the USA" throw out bearing.

4. garyt30

garyt30 Veteran Member

Is the Centerforce Dual Friction enough for 450 hp? 411 gears...not sure if that matters or not.

5. garyt30

garyt30 Veteran Member

Or I could try a LuK again with a good throwout bearing. A lot cheaper but I don’t want to have to do this again. Not sure why this one started acting up after only 200 miles.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  6. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Mine was making somewhere around 425 to 450 HP when I had the DF in it. I never had any problems with it, and I was not easy on it.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I used a dual friction before, its a good clutch. Many have differing opinions on the weights on the pressure plate, but no complaints. My #1 recommendation these days is the Mcleod RXT.

8. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

RPS carbon fiber...

9. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have used a Centerforce dual friction clutch for years in my 1979 Z-28 .With a 500 HPsmall block Chevy with no issues.

Attached Files:

10. 1970_Z28_503

1970_Z28_503 Member

Just took out a CF clutch, Weights had shifted and caused a bad vibration between 3000-3500 RPM. Chased that vibration for a year before finally pulling the Trans. Went with a new RAM clutch and its very nice.