Which Camaro Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by VladimirJTrump, Mar 1, 2017.

1. VladimirJTrump

VladimirJTrump New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    I found these 2 Camaros on Craigslist and had a few questions. The 77 Camaro the guy said he took it on a 200 mile road trip before winter. I really like the 79 because of the paint and the 400 small block ,but I'm not sure about the interior. Is the interior easy to fix? Would either of these cars be reliable? I'm really into cars and wouldn't mind doing work on them. 79 z28:
    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6012070625.html
    77: https://stjoseph.craigslist.org/cto/6011699150.html
    77(more pictures): https://imgur.com/gallery/5Ork9

2. smace

smace Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    The 77 is in nicer shape. I am just not a fan of the big bumper cars. The 79 has ttops and it seems a fair price. Intior is easy to fix with money. All the parts are easy to get. I made the interior in both of my 79s look like new again

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

It all depends on just how much time and money you are willing to invest in the car of you choice.

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Tough choice, they are both in about the same shape to my eyes. I like big bumpers but I don't like the hole in the roof. It does have a nice dash with tach. The 79 has a better engine (I hope). Both interiors look a little rough to me; not terrible though. I'm leaning ever so slightly toward the 79 and it's a grand cheaper.

5. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    The 77, it's more muscular and will always be worth more. Better car all around......I could live with the roof.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd keep looking.

7. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    Finding a reliable car that's 40 years old is not an easy task. Maintenance, proper repairs, not being beat on, quality parts all go into making an older car reliable. Do you have any background in auto repairs? Our cars are not hard to work on but at the price point of those cars, figure some work is enviable.

The 79 looks like a hot rod. I'd be concerned that it was treated as such. The 77 appears as though is been well maintained. Which body style you like is going to be a determining factor as well. Out of those two, the 77 is probably the better choice.

VladimirJTrump likes this.
  8. VladimirJTrump

VladimirJTrump New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    So what kind of work would I have to do? Besides regular maintenance. And here is a video to the 77 startup and exhaust: https://vid.me/gYax

9. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    You need to take whatever vehicle you're seriously looking at and pay a mechanic to go though the car. There's numerous parts like steering, suspension and brake components that wear out over time and can be easily addressed. Then there's issues that are more complex (subframe rot, electrical issues, driveline components) that can be fixed but might be less noticeable initially.

My daily driver is a rusty 22 year old Pontiac. While I'm not a mechanic, I end up working on the car frequently. I'm not trying to talk you out of getting into a second gen, they're fun cars, but you need to know what to expect before buying anything.

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I'd pick the 79. It has a 400 and an overdrive transmission. Drive the car around for a long test drive and seriously review what issues the car needs and if your really man enough to deal with them.