Which 350 block should I look for?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by BeefTip, Dec 11, 2010.

1. BeefTip

BeefTip Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Phenix City, AL
    I currently have a mild 350 in my camaro right now. Previous owner told me that it was bored .60 over. I am about to spray it with nitrous just to have some fun with it, I dont expect it to last very long. Obviously i wont be able to bore it out anymore if I cause some real damage.

Anyway, I have been wanting to learn how to build a motor or at least tear one down. I had thought about purchasing a shortblock or good longblock vortec 350 (96-99)....the reason I was thinking one from these years is that I know it will be a roller block, I might be able to get one with the serpentine system still hooked up...and it will have the vortec heads on it.

Preferably I would just take the heads off, and get the fitted with some better springs (and whatever you have to do to allow them more lift), replace the gaskets and add a decent cam in it. I have no idea if these blocks are good starting points nor do i know if they are 2 bolt or 4 bolt mains.

Any tips?

2. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Selah, WA
    That sounds like an excellent starting point.

As with all other 350's, I believe the Vortec comes in a 2 bolt and 4 bolt main block.

You'll have to pull the pan to know for sure. The 4 bolt main blocks were usually in the trucks. For a performance application though, the 4 bolt main Vortec's aren't much better than 2 bolt mains because they are all straight up into the block. The 4 bolt are a little bit stonger, but not by much. Not enough to pass on an otherwise good deal for. Plus, if you really want 4-bolt mains, a machine shop can do that for you, in a splayed cap setup, which is quite a bit stronger. But for the few upgrades you are going to be doing, a 2bolt would be just fine.

Also I believe the Vortecs, or at least some of them require you to run an electric fuel pump, as they don't have the provision for a manual pump.

Hopefully others can chime in.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    I think a Vortec block would be a great way to go. I thought they were all 4 bolt mains blocks. I'm not 100% sure though. The factory roller setup could save you a few bucks.

4. BeefTip

BeefTip Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Phenix City, AL

how much is it to convert a non-roller block over to roller? I have no idea what all is involved.

5. BeefTip

BeefTip Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Phenix City, AL

Im already running an electric fuel pump now so that wont be an issue. Depending on the condition of the motor and the deal i get, I would like to put some forged pistons in it...possibly rods...mainly because I would like to spray it.

How much power can the crank hold in the vortec motors?

6. 79powershifter

79powershifter Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Southgate Mi
    010 High nickle block late 60s early 70s .

7. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Selah, WA
    ^ would be my second choice

8. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    I would look for an oem roller, 2 bolt or 4 I doubt it matters when the 4 bolt oem setup is not cross bolted. Aftermarket roller lifters are expensive and also it's nice to have a block with a cam wear plate so you don't have to eff around with thrust buttons and a $200 timing cover

9. BeefTip

BeefTip Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Phenix City, AL

sounds good, I think Ill just look for a vortec block then...especially if it comes with the heads.

What all is involved in fitting vortec heads with bigger springs...dont they only support .480 lift as they sit?

10. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

Apr 30, 2009
    hopewell junction,ny
    more like .460 stock...