Where to attach cross rail extensions

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by hoffmandirt, Mar 10, 2013.

1. hoffmandirt

hoffmandirt Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Dysart, PA
    Hey guys, I'm ready to put on my rear cross rail extensions and I can't tell from my original pictures how they were attached. Here are the questions I have:

Was the extension welded to the inside or outside of the top tab on the drop off?

Was the extension welded to the inside or outside of the drop off in the section located on the right side of the photo? If outside, was the extension sandwiched between the quarter and drop off?

Here's my opening
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the extensions being held up to the opening. I'm going to have to force the drop off to left a good bit. The drop off is a repop.
    [​IMG]

2. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    I had some questions about the order of layers- trunk drop off, quarter, and extension. I used this post to help me decide (post #2 pics): http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207236

It doesn't look like your wheel house is installed. I had the wheel house, trunk drop off, and quarter in place before fitting the quarter, extensions, and tail light panel. Once that was done I went about it like this
    :
    1. Dry fit everything first and make sure I thought it would come together and double, triple check
    2. Once satisfied with that, clamp and weld quarter to match original door and trunk gaps
    3. Weld qtr to lower trunk drop off at all contact points (this step edited 3/13/13)
    4. Place tail light panel in location
    5. Close trunk lid
    6. Wrap the rear of the car with ratchet strap
    5. Tighten strap until the lower quarter sucked in to create the right gap between it and lower tail light panel
    6. Monitor/recheck the end of the quarter to trunk lid gaps
    7. Slip out tail light panel
    8. Place extensions and weld
    9. Remove strap
    10. Get a beer
    11. Double check gaps- should not have changed

I don't know if those steps make sense to you, but I spent more time dry fitting and making sure I understood how it would all come together before welding. Oh and I eventually took the leap and it worked out.

Another explanation I found useful at post #10:
    http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239805&highlight=quarter+panel+tail

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. hoffmandirt

hoffmandirt Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Dysart, PA
    Thanks Dukes, that helps out a lot. One area that is still a little unclear pertains to what the extension is actually welded to. The post #10 you are referring to says to weld the extension to the drop off, however in the pictures in post #2 it looks like the extension is welded to the quarter panel and would essentially be between the quarter and the outer tail panel. The latter also sounds like what you are describing. Is this correct? If so, is the top of the extension also between the quarter and tail panel?

The ratchet strap tip is awesome. I've seen them being used in photos, but wasn't quite sure what problem was being solved with them. That's going to be a huge time saver. I do have my wheel houses welded in place and I'm ready to weld the quarters. I've had them on and off many times and it's time to pull the trigger. I'm hoping for the best because my tail panel was replaced once before and then I made a rookie mistake by not aligning doors and removing the quarters, wheel houses, drop offs, and tail panel all at the same time. I was out this weekend getting my deck lid on and lined up to where I think it's centered. I was trying to find good places to pull measurements from to find my center line.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. Dukes72

Dukes72 Veteran Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Central IA
    Bad choice of words on my part. In step #3 I welded the quarter panel to the trunk drop at all contact points. This included where the extension will land. After I sucked in the lower qtr and drop off assembly, I welded the extension to the exterior of the drop off/quarter and cross rail panel. I am going to edit the previous post to clear up what I did.

The order of panel layers I went with with were trunk drop off then quarter panel, then extension.
    Hope that clears it up.

5. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Anyone on this thread have any pics showing how the crossrail, crossrail extensions, trunk dropoffs, and quarters come together? Photobucket pics are gone. Descriptions are great but you know what they say about what pics are worth. Thanks.

6. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
  7. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Thanks Tony! Did you have to torture the crossrail to get it to fit, particularly on the outsides (outboard - close to dropoffs)? I'm having to close at least 1/2" gap to the bottom of the trunk pan behind the frame rails - where the bumper brackets are. That pulls it away from the frame rails and fuel tank braces too. Did you clamp the entire crossrail in place at once and then weld, or clamp in places, weld, then clamp in other places?

Input from others welcome as well.

8. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    I'm not Tony. Did you look through the rest of his thread? When I did mine I had to fab my frame rails as they were patched with donors from a later model so I wouldn't be much help there. I know I looked at a few other peoples threads when I was doing this too. I'll see if I can find any of them.

9. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help. I'll ping Tony. The preceding posts in his build thread are about mini-tubs. I didn't see discussion of crossrail install. I'll also scour build threads over turkey. Thanks again.

10. thesalboy

thesalboy Member

Mar 25, 2017
    brooksman9 likes this.