Wheels/Tires

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Nov 9, 2017.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You live with the mismatch up front until you get home.

14/15 is not relevant. it's about OD.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it's harmful to the rear end, and only harder on wear on the front??
    I would match the rear, and not go flying down the highway if you get a flat in the front??

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ

Dude are we really going to be like this? When someone staggers the wheel sizes the general assumption is the OD is going to be different because they are messing with tire sizes to achieve a specific look. You're right the OD is the significant issue but why would he be asking if it wasn't different? Man did I piss in your Cheerios or something :)

I chose to carry a spare the same OD (happy Scott?) as the rear tires. If the front went flat I was more willing to deal with the pull, wear etc then risk the rear end damage.

4. Revin

Revin Veteran Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Round Rock , TEXAS
    I say find a 15" spare, get it. The thing should get ya off the highway and to the nearest parking lot where you can get help fixing the tire that went flat properly.
    Not drive home for miles.

5. BonzoHansen

No problem! I'll add :) lol. Just saying it's not a complicated decision. You were right about rear od.

The 14/15 comment was more 'in general' in nature. That doesn't matter. a 215/60/15 & 255/60/15 combo has the same problem

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Don't make me jinx another brake line :p

7. BonzoHansen

you sonofa%&^@$%^!#$@% lol

8. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Buy a new set of 5 matching tires/wheels :)

9. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Unless you have the same tire height front and rear - a spare tire is a waste of time/money at least 50% of the time. And if the spare tire is old - it's a waste of money 98% of the time.

I don't have a spare tire in any of my toy cars. Now I have a lot more trunk space!

I can't mount a 275/40/17 on the front and the 235/45/17 won't match up on the rear. Not even sure that a 275/40/17 would even fit in the trunk...

10. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    Hey Brian.....dig up one of those cans in the backyard and buy a pair of wheels and tires. LOL (I might see you in mid Jan.)