wheels paint?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by greencamaro1981, Jun 6, 2010.

1. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    i have an 81 and i am having trouble keeping my wheels clean i can get them clean with the etch aluminum mag cleaner but they will be dirty in a day i was wondering if i could clearcoat the wheel with a duplicolor rattle can or pro clear coat if so what type of prep should i do for clearing raw aluminum? thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crome dome

crome dome Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Round rock Texas
    I can't help ya with that question but I sure would like to see a profile pic of your car with those wheels. Thats a nice lookin car you have.

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427 Veteran Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Portland, Or.
    First get them polished up to whatever shine you want to have when cleared. Then spray them with brake cleaner or degreaser to get rid of any oil residue. Make sure you wear some latex or rubber gloves to keep from leaving more oil while you're handling them during cleaning.
    Once you've got them cleaned, then wipe them with a clean cloth and let them dry well in the sun. After that you can spray them with the clear and you should have a good adhesion.
    The shinier you get the wheels, the less chance they will hold dirt or look tarnished. So you may want to try just shining them up with a power ball and Flitz first, then see how that holds up before clearing them. Once you do clear coat if it chips or peels you'll have a real mess to deal with. I use Flitz on all my bare aluminum and it seems to hold up pretty well.

4. greencamaro1981

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    hey crome dome here are some pics of my car before the z kit and a while ago i will take another pic of the side when it quits raining

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    new to this

Hey I am new to this camaro thing kinda I had a 80 when i was younger did nt real do anything to it now I have a 80 z28 I am in the middle of restoring almost done but still need to do suspension and put it back together sorry if i shouldnt be posting in hear just wanna know how to raise the back of the car up like that i was thinking just drop the front but i think it would be best just to lift the back how much does it cost to do this and what do i need how hard is it to do thanks again

6. greencamaro1981

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    hey gfunk welcome and there are a few ways to go about lifting the back or "raking" best method is to buy nift rear leaf springs i got 4 inch liftsprings from paddock (closed down tho) if you want a cheaper route the rear end of the springs you can build or buy longer shackles for it and lastly get a spring pack from a truck and put the weight you want together not recomended but it works and how confident you are mechanicaly. the shackles are the easiest and cheapest like 20$ at anyparts store or 5$ if you can build em springs are nice and you dont hafta worry bout em

7. greencamaro1981

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    leaf spring swap is a 3 hour job with hand tools an hour with air tools shackles ten minutes either way building springs two days

8. gfunk1234

gfunk1234 Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Vancity
    shackles

ok so i need shakles and what else? i have lowered my old s10 with blocks before in the back but never raised thanks again

9. gothrod87

gothrod87 Veteran Member

Jun 19, 2009
    abbeville, sc

Between shackles and a set of rear air shocks..its pretty straight forward

10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    A "rattle can" clear won't hold up very well.

Your best bet would be to powdercoat them with a clear coat.
    (Like a professional wheel finisher would do.)