What's wrong with this cluster?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Da_Raabi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Well I grabbed the multimeter and checked all of the connections. I appeared to have continuity across all points. I did have a little trouble getting continuity when trying to probe the little studs themselves, so I'm wondering if I've got some oxidation blocking current. I'm going to clean all the studs and apply dialectric grease to them all to see if I can maximize conductivity at those points. That might help a little.

I would not think that would affect the temp gauge so much but I guess its possible.

If I can avoid having to replace the printed circuit that would be nice. It would free up $80 for something nicer. Like maybe a dash cap or something.

I think the voltmeter is dead though. Jumping it straight off the battery resulted in nothing. No movement whatsoever.

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I thought I would update this now that I seem to have gotten things working.

It turns out there was absolutely nothing wrong with this cluster, besides being incorrect for my 1980.

I simply had things wired incorrectly. As to the voltmeter, I had applied power to the spade on the back, and grounded the post on the other side of the plastic bar. Turns out that ground was wrong and was screwing it up. I had to instead ground the post above the bar (attached to the gauge body). This took care of it.

As to the temp sensor, I found a dead-ended dark green wire in my engine harness that I did a continuity check on. Turns out it was my sensor wire. Simply hooked that up to the sensor and let the cluster do the rest. That gauge needed no additional wiring.

So everything works! This whole thing was simply a problem between the multimeter and the chair... me! Hey, at least it was a simple (and free) fix!

3. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois