What's the cost to mini-tub a car???

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 70 gsconvt, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    Hi, I'm trying to get a good estimate on the costs to redo my car the way I want it.

I'm looking at replacing the entire suspension, possibly from Custom Works or possibly the Ridetech Level 2 with coilovers to eliminate the rear leaf springs. And I will already be buying new tires and wheels.

I'm wondering if someone could verify the cost to minitub a 1978 Camaro. I was estimating in the $2000 to $2500 range. I have very good mechanical skills and very limited welding skills (Miller 211 autoset welder). But I think after watching several videos on youtube, this may be past my welding skill level.

I'm just trying to justify the cost. I know I can fit a 295/35R18 tire/wheel combo under there. I'm just wondering if I should go the extra mile for the 335/40R18 tires/wheels. I really like the rear steamroller look on muscle cars. I have 325/50R15's on my 1970 Buick GS455 convertible. And I plan on putting a 255 wide tire on the front by massaging the front inner fenders a bit.

It will primarily be a street car with very limited autocrossing. Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    It depends on the installer and labor rates in your area. Also how prepped the car is. Pulling the interior is easy, but takes time. If you have undercoating...scraping it off takes time. Detroit Speed estimates 40 hours, but if you bring the car stripped and ready to go I feel it should take half that or less.

3. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Winchester,CA
    I'm in the same boat. But will be doing the mini tub myself. The mini tub process doesn't look to hard. Just a bit of time consuming. I will also be going with a Suspension kit from Custom Works. Its a modified Ridetech Level 2. Keith at Custom Works is a Ridetech retailer also. Maybe give him a call and see what he can do for you. An on the cost portion like Badazz said it all depends on the rate of labor. If you could strip all the interior out so all they had to do was cutting and welding that would take out a chunk of time. Maybe call around some body shops an ask what they would charge. Some one here did a good write up of the DSE mini tub install also I will post the link.

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    40 hours X $100/hour = $4,000

that a lot

5. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    It's a lot of work to pull your interior and rear apart and clean up the metal.

It cost me $5500 to do the mini tub and quadra link plus a few little things. But I can't weld....

6. 70 gsconvt

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    Well, I'm a firefighter/paramedic, so I have time on my days off to strip the interior. It's half out anyway. And the back seat just pops out pretty much along with the side panels and carpet. I haven't checked with any local shops yet.

Like I said, I'm just trying to establish my budget so I have a better idea of how much to lie to the wife and tell it's not going to be that much. I guess I could try a couple of shops around here and see if anyone's done it and how much they'd guess it would cost. I'd really like to find someone in the northeast Ohio area who has done it before. I think they would have a much better handle on exactly what's involved and a more firm price they could quote me. Because I'm sure not going to take it somewhere it hasn't been done before and just say "Let me know when you're done and how much".

7. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Usually those shops are the ones who charge alot lol. If you find a quality fabricator that may be your best bet rather then a car customizer

8. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    I don't know how close you are to Euclid, but these guys can handle any kind of fab work you need. http://www.streetmachinery.com/

9. 70 gsconvt

Sep 30, 2009
    Wadsworth, OH
    I'm in Wadsworth, OH. So Euclid is only 45 minutes away. I'll give them a ring next week and see about stopping by. I don't have $100K to dump into a car, but maybe $40K or so. Drivetrain $15, interior $5K, suspension $5K, wheels/tires $2K, interior $5K, body $7.5K. This is my guesstimate right now. Car is rust-free and a factory 4-speed. And it runs and drives now. I'd like to do as much of the mechanical work as possible myself. So hopefully that'll keep labor costs down. But bodywork is not my thing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017