What's it worth?..1970 RS Z28 4 speed.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by NS1RM21, Dec 17, 2016.

1. NS1RM21

NS1RM21 Member

Dec 17, 2016
    IMG_0950.JPG
    Hello everybody. My name is Troy and I'm new to the Chevy world.
    A friend of mine became ill and he has this 1970 RS Z28 4 speed car. He purchased it back in 1996 and it was a fresh restoration, she ran and drove wonderfully. He drove it for about ten years and then he parked it in his garage and there it sat. This past year he has had some medical issues and is thinking about selling it. I took the car and in the middle of cleaning it up. There was some light mold in the interior so I completely disassembled the interior and cleaned it from top to bottom. I even replaced the heater core for good measure. I replaced a few things like the glove box door and even the electrical board behind the cluster. The interior is in real nice "driver" condition. The brakes were leaking at the wheel cylinders and the master so they were replaced. Front brakes were fine.
    I gave her a tune up replacing cap, rotor, plugs, points and filter. The engine is matching number but I have no idea about being rebuilt or not. The numbers are still on the deck so the deck was never machined. The original intake, exhaust manifolds and air pump is still there. The Holley carb looks to be a repop but the air cleaner is still there. I replaced the alternater and voltage regular. She runs real good and you can hear the solid lifters in it!
    The paint is in good condition. There are a few chips here and there and a little bubbling on the B pillar but I don't think it is rust.....maybe...not sure what it is to be honest with you.
    I dove her for the first time today and I was quite happy with what I felt. Tires are as hard as a rock with a few flat spots but she pulls hard and goes through the gears well. There are a few things that need to be looked at. The 8000rpm tack is not working and neither is the clock. The exhaust is touching the frame so there is a viberation while you drive it. A very good place to start if your looking for a original Z28.

The owner/myself are going to sell it but we're not sure what a fair price would be. I'm a Mopar guy but have not played in the Chevy world. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Troy

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    70ZED likes this.
  2. NS1RM21

NS1RM21 Member

Dec 17, 2016
  3. NS1RM21

NS1RM21 Member

Dec 17, 2016
  4. NS1RM21

NS1RM21 Member

Dec 17, 2016
  5. NS1RM21

NS1RM21 Member

Dec 17, 2016
  6. NS1RM21

NS1RM21 Member

Dec 17, 2016
  7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    You said you replaced the alternator, did you keep the old one or make sure it wasn't a number matching unit?

8. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    Looks like a nice car Troy. But the car is only worth what a buyer and seller is willing to negotiate. The 70 z28 price range depends on how much is original to the car. And condition of the car. Most vary from $25k to $45k. As asked before if you have the original alternator and regulator you removed from the car. They are worth upward to $1500. it is a special part and specific to the 70 z28.

NS1RM21 likes this.
  9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Interesting. TT shows a 711 interior (Standard Black Vinyl) but someone has changed it to Deluxe Comfortweave 712 or 720 Deluxe Custom cloth. Hard to tell from the camera angle.
    Depending on if the engine-trans-rearend is the original to the car and what else, it would be in the 25 to 35 range. Some nice options.

And it would definitely be in your best interest to get that alternator back if you can. They are bringing about 700-1500 on eBay for an '837 alternator. Also used on Yenko Novas, L78 Camaro's-Chevelles and LS6 Chevelles.

NS1RM21 likes this.
  10. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    If you gave them the 837 alternator to them as a core I would go back and retrieve it ASAP, If not someone just got themselves a $1000 alternator. Hopefully you used the original alt pulley. The alternator is date coded as well as the voltage regulator and having them will have a big impact on the selling price. Even having the correct (R) distributor cap will matter to a serious buyer.
    Mark

NS1RM21 likes this.