What's a set of 5 original 1970 Z28 rally wheels worth nowadays?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Eliminator SS, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Eliminator SS

Eliminator SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 14, 2002
    South East, Nebraska
    I found out that a guy at work has a set of original 1970 Z28 rallys just sitting in his garage and I'm trying to buy them from him. The last time I bought one of these was 4 or 5 years ago at the Lincoln swap meet. I paid $100 for what was a mint original wheel with a mounted usable wide oval tire on it, trim ring and cap.
    4 of these were restored several years ago, looks to be a quality job. The 5th has the original Goodyear spare tire on it.
    The caps and trim rings are all original and are a 7 on a scale of 1-10.
    I offered him $550, based on what I got my one at the swap meet for. He wants more but I don't know what's fair now I guess. I thought I was offering him a fair deal.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. Eliminator SS

Nov 14, 2002
    South East, Nebraska
    They aren't the early 70 ones with the smaller valve stem hole, these are the late ones same as used in 71-2 and 3. The one I got at the swap meet was an early one.

4. david.rosol

david.rosol Veteran Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Are we talking about rally wheels, or the Z28 5 spoke wheels? Z28 wheels, I wouldn't pay more than $400 a set... $500 if a 5th (spare) is included abd that is if they are in great shape! You can find them all day long on ebay for less and they also reproduce them now. Key things to look for on the used ones are out of round lug holes and bent wheels. Very common on used sets.

5. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

Dec 24, 2013
    tucson az
    I bought a set awhile back turned out to be two 71 up style and two 70 style. Sold the two small oval rims for $250 and they werent restored or anything. Just two wheels. Jim

6. Eliminator SS

Nov 14, 2002
    South East, Nebraska
    I understand what you're saying Jim. Had these been the early ones I would have offered allot more from the beginning because I believe in making fair offers. But these are the later more common ones, the restoration on the 4 produced the correct color but they are a gloss finish and not correct. He is using the fact that a guy has the later 77-81 wheels on eBay and they are $800. I told him that's inane, I literally bought an entire set of 77-81 z28 wheels for $25 per wheel only a couple years ago. I'm guessing he wants the kind of money the rare early 70 wheels bring and I'm just not going to give him that.

7. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Jun 9, 1999
    NJ. US
    Not sure but i'm not a factory correct guy. The craggers I have on my camaro now are from a junk yard and the back set is off a car I bought long time ago for $700.

So to me I spend more then $200 for rims that's alot. I also have to warn you I tend to buy cars that don't start :)

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I think a late set is $200-$500 depending on condition, caps, rings, etc.

add for good tires

9. Eliminator SS

Nov 14, 2002
    South East, Nebraska
    He got back with me on what he feels is fair and I'm going to pass at $1200.

10. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2002
    memphis, tn-shelby
    $1200 is ridiculous.