What's a good wheel cleaner?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by titletowncards, Aug 5, 2014.

1. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    I like Mother's aluminum polish. However, if you just want to spray and wash, I hear great things about Sonax.

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    When I bought my polished aluminum wheels I got a can of Never Dull too. When I opened the can it looked like steel wool with wheel polish. I haven't tried it because I'm afraid it'll ruin the finish on my wheels.

3. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    For removing brake dust I like the citrus spray cleaner you can get at Walmart. It works as well or better than any of the name brand removers, but at half the price and the bottle is bigger to boot. I've used it on a wide variety of wheels and it has never caused any damage.

To make them shine, I'm in agreement with several others here. Mother's aluminum wheel polish is hard to beat. Easy on, easy off. I doesn't leave white spots on your tires if you get a little off course either. Decent price and a small can goes a long way. (A little dab will do ya.) :)

4. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I used Never Dull a lot in the USAF. It is pretty hard core stuff. We used it to remove oxidation on brass and aluminum. I would suspect it would remove the protective coating on a wheel. I wouldn't use it unless the wheels were in bad shape and I'd test it on a hidden area first. I wouldn't even think about using it on a decent set of wheels.

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    That's what I thought too after I opened the can and saw it.

6. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I Like S100 products designed for Motorcycles but works great on aluminum. But the best is Billet polish and lots of elbow grease. Simple green will tarnish the wheels unless you get simple green for motorcycles or there new wheel cleaner

Michael

7. Rockhound

Rockhound Veteran Member

Dec 3, 2007
    tennessee
    The Never Dull that I have doesn't look like Steel Wool. It's cotton wadding with the cleaner imbedded in it. It works good, not as good as a buffing wheel and jeweler's rouge, but good by hand.

8. divemistress

divemistress Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 21, 2014
    Oak Harbor, WA

oh boy never dull.. it's not steel wool but it's a type of cotton batton that is soaked in the stuff. How do I know? 20 years of Navy and polishing bright work! Works wonders on brass :)

9. divemistress

divemistress Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 21, 2014
    Oak Harbor, WA

or you have someone who can devote 2-3 hours buffing with it.. I can still smell never dull from memory.. that's how often I used it in the Navy haha

10. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Same here, but in the USAF. We polished everything with it. My first contact with it was in basic training. Every shiny metal surface got the treatment. The whole barracks smelled of the stuff.

It's really only good for bare metal though. I wouldn't use it on anything with a coating or paint. It would likely ruin the finish.