What your rear ride heights vs springs you're running?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Feb 2, 2018.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking ahead to my Herb Adams mod on the front spring bracket and thinking maybe I'll just upgrade the springs while I'm at it.

Right now, my front and rear and both the same height at 14" from wheel center to fender lip (26" from fender lip to the ground). But I'd like to get at least a 1/2"-1" rake such that when I'm sitting in it, it's level or maintaining a slight rake.

My current springs were factory 5 leaf stock replacements which I put on around 25 years ago. They still seem to be ok, but from what I remember as having a mild rake, they may be starting to sag.

So my question to you guys: I'm curious what springs you guys are running and what the resulting heights are in the rear, as measured from wheel center to fender lip.

The car seems pretty well balanced right now between front and rear spring rates. Obviously I don't race it, so this is speaking about all street driving, albeit sometimes spirited driving... it may be hideous on a track, but for what I do with it, it's a good combo between performance and ride quality). So ideally I'd like to maintain that characteristic.

BTW, I'd also like to get some springs where they built in some anti-wheel hop capability into them as well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
  3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
  4. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Western Colorado
    Mine is right about 13.5 to 14 in. I've got to Hotchkis drop springs on mine.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I can't speak for the specific heights anyone - it's been too long. However, I can say 100% if your springs have been in place for 25 years they have started sagging.

Unfortunately, with leaf springs it's almost impossible to predict what the right height will be; there are so many factors.
    It's no secret I'm a big fan of the Global West L2 springs. They are built way more heavily than any other spring I've ever seen for our cars and do have an extra leaf on the front for anti-hop. They also don't have a huge amount of drop built into them.

I'd suggest dropping the L2's on the car and see where it sits. If it's too high, you can always throw a 1" lowering block in place to bring the car down more. If they sit too low, you can use an extended spring shackle to raise the rear.

Don't use composite springs in longitudinal applications (like Camaro's) they flex the wrong way under power and shatter.

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys.

Lowend, I've always valued your opinions over the years. I'll seriously consider the GW ones... they sound pretty good.

Yeah I know first hand about composite springs breaking. My Vette brakes springs I ran about 20 years ago broke after a couple of years. I accused them of false adverising and ended up getting a refund. They actually changed their ad afterward to say not to use them with over 350 ftlb of torque.... despite the picture of the 67 Camaro with drag radials... giving the impression of the springs handling a 500 hp big block...

Any rate I was just wondering if maybe technology improved and maybe this new breed of spring is better.

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I have Moog #5664 707# rate coil springs in the front (12.75" center cap to fender lip) ($50 from Amazon)
    #200 leafs from Custom Works in the rear (13" center cap to quarter lip) also using Keith's rear axle locater kit

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Thanks John. That may be a little on the low side for me. I already mildly scrape the underside of the car sometimes when going over a steep driveway. If the car was an inch lower, it'd be horrendous...

I may be leaning toward Lowend's suggestion. Seems like the measures GW took to improve axle wind up as well as the Herb Adams mod on the front spring bracket should result in a dramatic improvement to the rear suspension.

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am a little confused. Your car is on sagging springs now so are you saying you can't see the car being an inch lower from where it is now or stock? I have Landrum 175# springs from Custom Works with his rear shackle. My car is lowered around an inch+ from STOCK height. I have a ton of room under the pumpkin and no concerns about bottoming out in the back....my front springs on the other hand I had to put some spacers under to get them to the right ride height and I almost never bottom out unless it is a big speed bump and sometimes my headers touch a little. They are 700#GW.

I am not suggesting you don't go with Low End's suggestion as he is far more experienced and knowledgeable, just trying to understand what you are using for a baseline...

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Frankly I really have no idea what "stock" is any more. lol... :crazy:

I just don't want the back any lower than it is now, and acutally would like it to be ~1/2" higher.

I guess I'll have to get a set of springs with the herb adams mod and then see where I end up. Then like Lowend said, get some adjustable rear shackles to fine tune the ride height. What I'll probably do is get some steel plates from McMaster Carr and fab up my own so I get the holes exactly where I want them.