WHAT WEIGHT OIL FOR 350 ENG.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by BILLYZEE, Jul 3, 2005.

1. BILLYZEE

BILLYZEE New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    VILLA PARK IL.USA
    WHATS THE BEST WEIGHT OIL TO USE IN THE 350 CHEVY ENG. ENG. ??????? 1971 CAMARO
    OIL FILTER # ????
    CAR IS DRIVEN ONLY IN SUMMER TIME. (CHICAGO)

2. zfireman

zfireman Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Zeeland, Mi, USA
    I'm using Castrol GTX 20-50 in my '71 with no problems. It's priced right. Keep an eye on Meijer's if you have one in your area. I am going to switch to Mobil 1 after my rebuild per my engine builders suggestion.
    As for the filter, any good filter. Car Quest, K&N makes a good filter.

3. 80Camaroman

80Camaroman Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I use either Valvoline or Mobil 1 10W40 on my '80. Found the thicker racing oils tend to bend stuff and create sludge in the engine. I only use AC Delco oil filters.

Jim
    '80 Berlinetta

[This message has been edited by 80Camaroman (edited July 03, 2005).]

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Carmakers pretty much unanimously agree that 5w-30 and 10w-30 are the best. Anything with larger numbers than that get the larger numbers by adding viscosity extenders to the oil. Viscosity extenders replace the oil, so that means less real lubrication per quart with the extenders.
    Read the owners manual of your new fuel injected 4 and 6 bangers. On many models now 10w-40 or 20w-50 will void your engine warranty.

5. ram air dad

ram air dad Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Danville,Indiana USA
    I agree with Gary S. Although I'm breaking it in on natural oil (10 w 30) and then switching to synthetic. I've had problems before "breaking in" with synthetic.

6. archemedes

archemedes Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Saraland AL,USA
    all gm cars come from teh factory with 10w30, all the dealers I worked at the only weights we stocked were 10w30(for gas engines) and 20w50 (for diesel engines)

------------------
    To err is human; but to really screw things up
    requires a computer.

Give blood play hockey!

7. archemedes

archemedes Veteran Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Saraland AL,USA
    I almost forgot teh filter thing, wix makes a great filter (makes many of the otehr performance ones)

------------------
    To err is human; but to really screw things up
    requires a computer.

Give blood play hockey!

8. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Like many answers, that depends...

In really hot weather I used to run 20/50, 10/40 the rest of the year (both specified in the owner's manual), but only because I know that ring and bearing clearances were loose when I put it back together. The higher viscosity helped maintain better oil pressure.

Todays engines are built with tighter tolerances so they run thinner oils without problems (this also helps fuel economy). Running thinner oils in an older engine might possibly cause it to burn oil (or more oil than it does).

That said, for a good tight engine 5/30 or 10/30 should be fine--if you aren't sure, try it and watch your oil pressure on the real hot days, esp. at idle. If you don't like what you see switch to the next higher grade.

9. 3origZlovers

3origZlovers Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Springfield,MO. USA
    In years past, I always ran 20W50 Castro GT,Highway miles, high milage engines. The Vette and the Caddies use 10W30 and Mobile 1
    In fact, the old 80Z ran 413,000 miles with Castro 20W50 and engine restore.