what to do about a sticky steering wheel?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by arnies81camaro, Sep 28, 2017.

1. arnies81camaro

arnies81camaro Member

Aug 20, 2011
    groveland,ma.
    my steering wheel is sticky, is there any cleaners that will get rid of that? or should I paint it?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    If you use the search function, type in "sticky steering wheel", you should get 54 threads where this has been discussed before. Solutions are anywhere from soaking in degreaser to putting into the dishwasher.

3. m00n1957

m00n1957 Veteran Member

Jun 20, 2003
    blue mountain,ms USA
    i spray an old rag down with super clean and wipe wheel down. don't get it on anything except wheel.

4. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Buffalo,NY,USA
    Dishwasher does a great job.

5. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Boise id
    That's funny my 70 has the same issue....thought I was thinking only one!

6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    I had this problem initially in 72. I cleaned it thoroughly, then installed a wrap around black steering wheel grip. Works great, is cheap, and looks like it came from the factory with it!

7. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Rumor has it the old hard plastic wheels deteriorated, but the later somewhat softer wheels or at least mine cleaned up good. Its black 4 spoke wheel from a later Camaro from a scrapyard. It had been there for a while and was filthy. Ran it through the dishwasher a few times and scrubbed on it, but the thing that finally cleaned it was immersing it in purple power for a while and scrubbing periodically. When fresh, purple power will slowly dissolve you.
    I've also put things like plastic dash bezels in it to remove everything down to the plastic.

8. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    That's the reason I pulled my wheel off. I like it better than the one I replaced it with. I'm going to run it through the dishwasher a couple of times and see if it cleans up.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Ran into a gal at a swap meet that refurbished steering wheels she would soak them in soapy water for a week or two and scrub on them a couple of times a day to get them clean. I done this with rubber parts off my car like the bump stops on the A-Arms they came out looking like new.