What size and offset for front "skinny" tire?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 54baker, Oct 18, 2017.

1. rustorbust

rustorbust Veteran Member

Dec 14, 2009
    San Diego
    Sorry didn't reply sooner. I am running 28" Mickey Thompson Sportsman tires.

54baker likes this.
  2. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen the same thing !!!

3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I was dumb enough to do it, I saw others doing it and thought it was fine. Once you feel the car moving around on you, you won't want to feel it again. Even worse, it was a points day so I had to drive it that way for 9 passes. Another stupid decision on my part to make changes without time to test.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do know running to low of air pressure in drag radials and or slicks can result in the car dancing around on the top end when you unload the chassis when you lift off the loud pedal past the stripe

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Pressure was good. I put bias on the front and the car was fine again. It was good with drag radials in the back and street radials in the front. I put et streets on the back to get a more consistent 60' but left the street radials on the front. 60 was a dead consistent 1.54 but it moved around bad on the big end. I put bias on the front with no other changes and the car was fine on the big end for the following weekend. I don't know why, just chalked it up to lesson learned.

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I run 5 1/2-6 in the rear, and 40 in the front, so I have been through some squirrelly passes.
    Throwing chutes helps keep everything planted when you click it.

I'm just trying to figure out why mixing upsets anything.
    I've seen it posted before also, but people argue both ways???

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    I run around the same pressure in the fronts, rear I've gone as high as 12 on a car that was on the heavier side. I've dumped the laundry a couple of times to keep it straight on the big end when it was a little unsettled through the traps. I can tell you radials all around is super smooth at 150+ compared to running bias. Car doesn't move around at all. That's what makes me think that the little wiggle on bias tires might be what throws the car off more since the radials really don't move. Almost like bias on both ends of the car kinda absorbs the movement while the radials on one end multiplies it since there's no "give". I would have to log lateral g force on both ends with mixed tires to really be able to get a good idea exactly what was going on. But I'm not gonna be out till the beginning of next season to even think about trying it. I'm gonna have to buy more sensors and see if I can find time next year. Gonna have enough keeping me busy just getting the car figured out since its pretty much a fresh build.

8. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Alumastar 2.0 15x3.5 1.25bs .My car is LOW and front tires do not hit even with inner fenders.

Attached Files:

9. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    II have had all bias, and it was fine. I had radial front and slick bias rear NOT FINE. I had bias front and drag radial rear and it was okay. I now have radial front and drag radial rear and it is not as good as the stiff sidewall fronts that were bias! Car moves around under braking until it gets under 90 or so. Heavy front end needs a stiffer sidewall than SOME of the narrow radial tires out there.

10. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    I think 165/70/15 or 195/70/15 are nice size radials for a street strip f-body - enough tread to corner ok in the wet but still skinny looking and with a decent sidewall.

There are some pretty cool options made for the classic sportscar and hotrod guys that have good speed ratings and modern handling characteristics but look like the older bias plies and available in sizes that are becoming harder to find.

54baker likes this.