What Quadrajet?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Nodus, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Paging @Quadrajet Power

2. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Fullerton, CA
    I'll second JET (formerly Jones Carbs). I had them rebuild and modify the Q-jet carb on my 73 z28 back in the mid 90's. They rocked it! Just make sure to tell whomever does your carb all your engine specs (cam, heads, comp ratio, headers, etc) so they can get it as close as possible.

3. Nodus

Nodus New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    if anyone's got a used and working Qjet and want to sell, lemme know!
    also do they sell Edelbrock Jets and rods alone? i don't wanna spend 50$ on a calibration kit to use like 3 parts out of it to tune it like a 1406.

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    FWIW I swap edelbrock and Qjets on my Caddy and truck and never notice a difference in fuel mileage. The small primaries of the Qjet always feel lazy to me compared to the Eddy. I have had one Qjet that didn't feel lazy so I know a savvy tuner can wake them up. They just need to be a lot richer and get that power valve kicked in sooner.

5. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
  6. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    A "Stage 2" QJet from any reputable rebuilder/tuner should work just fantastic on almost any engine that's going to see significant street miles. "Stage 1" is typically a stock replacement and they were ALWAYS saddled with wicked-lean calibrations from the factory. On a motor that's got a cam a little hotter than stock they just SUCK. On anything that's been "warmed up" a bit over stock, a "Stage 2" carb fixes most of the factory calibration shortcomings.

Even "pretty big" changes on a factory QJet are like "baby steps" on a Holley when it comes to the primary idle circuits and primary jets/rods.

7. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    Cliff Ruggles is the guy who can build you a Q-Jet for any purpose. He has published books on it ! google him