What Quadrajet?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Nodus, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Nodus

Nodus New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I'v been looking to get a rebuilt/remanfactured Quadrajet Carb from national Carburetor for my 79Z, and i am wondering what kind i need. In utah it'll be registered as a vintage vehicle, so no emissions for me, there appears to be the rubber lines from the intake for a Hot air choke, or would it just be easier and more simple to get a Electric one and run it to the key'd ignition?
    I just want to drop it on and bolt it on and go really with some idle screw adjustments.

I had one but i took it to be rebuilt to find out it was missing parts and pretty much gone

i also plan on taking this on a long road trip this spring and want to have a Qjet for Mpg on highway most the way, is there any difference between the Level 1 and Level 2 Carbs on there website in Mpg? it says for used with intake/headers that i do have.

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Are you hell bent on a Q-Jet? Eddys and Holleys are better options in my opinion. Square bore and way easier to adjust. If fuel is the concern, keep your foot out of it. When you open secondaries, any carb will chug down fuel. As far as the choke goes, get the electric one. I prefer manual but, electric is the option you want to have a plug and play setup. I can't answer your 1 and 2 level question. Didn't even know Q-Jets came in different levels but then again, I don't bother with them.
    This is just MY advice but, if this is an old engine and you don't have emissions to pass, GUT ALL THAT VACUUM SHIT YOU CAN!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Q-Jet is arguably the best carburetor ever built. It was way ahead of it's time, and people (like me) didn't understand it and tried to make adjustment and modifications that made it not work. When set up correctly, they offer performance and economy in one package. I agree with an electric choke, less trouble.

Jet Performance has a good rep with their Q-Jet rebuilds in level 1, 2, & 3. You can Google Jet Performance Carburetors, there's plenty of info out there. There is also a member here that rebuilds these carbs but I don't remember his name, hopefully he'll see this thread and drop in. Good luck with your project.

4. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Right CorkyE,
    It is totally arguable. I have a buddy who loves them and we have went our rounds over the subject. And, the OP said he wants fuel economy. Small primaries (some say) are better for that. I just don't like the toilet flush I always got when the secondaries kick in. Made my motor bog (maybe just hesitate) every time, no matter WHO tuned it and I HATED IT! I traded the spread bore for my first square bore and just never looked back. It was a Carter AVS and it had great primary response and kicked like a mule when I opened it up! I WAS HAPPY!!!

5. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    BFIC in Burbank sells carbs, Carlos is the owner. Some #'s he has on the shelf. Get it done with Alcohol comp parts.
    My buddy's 70 Z had an Edelgarbage on it when he got it, it ran rough. The correct Holley fixed it up nice, I have a great carb guy here, he did my Q jet, it's awesome. I left it there to set up,the choke perfect. My suggestion, get the correct # carb for that engine.

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Personally, I prefer the hot air choke over the electric one. In terms of reliability over extreme temperature changes, the old divorced choke works the best, with the hot air choke second, and the electric choke falls at the bottom of the list.
    The divorced choke and the hot air choke monitor the temperature of the engine and adjust accordingly. The electric choke monitors the temperature of the carb so it will fail miserably at very cold temperatures.

7. Nodus

Nodus New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    i do have a 1405 edelbrock bought locally but i really would rather have near 20 mpg than like.. 12 when going 700~ miles each way. and a $170 Nat. Carb would pay for itself in that long trip and any other general long trips.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I get 20 mpg easily with my Holley 750 HP double pump - 8 in the city + 12 on the highway. No problem. :D

80sz likes this.
  9. slayer021175666

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    That's FUNNY!!!!! CorkyE!
    I do actually get 17 average with my Eddy, though. About 21 HWY only.

10. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    The 1405 is jetted pretty rich. Some tuning might buy you some of the fuel economy you want. If you set the rods and jets like a 1406 you might get just what you are looking for.