What other vehicals and years will intercahnge with 2 nd gen Camaros Rear End Assemblys?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by patroll, Oct 25, 2017.

1. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    I saw some S-10 trucks and different modern day vehicles, does any one know if you can swao out a rear end from a truck , small truck ,suv , certain GM cars that will fit into your 2 Nd gen. Camaro to lower your gear ratio. I have a 2:73 gear want a little bit lower gera up to a 3:42 gear for my Turbo 35 0 Transmission. Anyone have any tips or sugestions?

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    2nd gen Camaros and Firebirds are the only ones that will bolt in. You can make any rear end work with enough cuttng, welding and other fabrication work, but it's usually easier to just find a 2nd gen F body rear end with the gears that you want. There were many of them that had 3.42 gears.

4. BonzoHansen

A guy on stupidbook swore up and down an 8.5 from an S10 bolts in. That in itself must be really rare. what got them, the turbo trucks?

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Why not just replace the gears and posi unit? Then you know what you're dealing with, rather than used parts of questionable origin.

6. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    2000 and later S trucks with the 4.3 and 5 speed and all ZR2 got the 8.5 rear end. None of them bolt in a 2nd gen Camaro. I don't know why anyone would want to put one of them in a 2nd gen Camaro anyway when they already have an 8.5.

BonzoHansen likes this.
  7. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    Cheaper alternative for a rig and pinion and labor. Everyone can't change those gears.

8. BonzoHansen

so your choice for pure bolt in is 70-81 camaro and firebirds - give or take the u joint changes over the years.

9. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    Yes they were many, back years ago ,but in 2017 they are hard to find , they have been used for dirt track , and crushed. So if someone had a vehicle that would interchange , it would be nice to know . I'm just curious to see if there are other cars ,trucks with same set up and could get a 10 bolt 8.5 rear end . knowledge is good when you have to but 150-200 ring and pinion and another 400 to have someone who knows how to correctly use spacers to align those gears . I can rebuild a engine but never changed gears out , if you have ,could you explain.

10. patroll

patroll Veteran Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Jackson,S.C.
    Thanks , that was the answer I was looking for a straight answer. So facts are only 1970-1981 Camaros and FireBirds, Trans Ams , would work ?