What LS Swap Radiator to use?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by ChrisK, Jun 5, 2019.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Keep in mind you pay what what you get. Derale is not using SPAL fans and doesn’t look to come with a wiring kit and the radiator doesn’t have a thermocouple to activate the fans.

2. badazz81z28

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dwr-6139021m/

This for essentially $1000 (bolt-in, wiring, relays and the temp probe in the rad included)

Or the Griffin combo for $731 (assembly and other parts required)

I’m just saying look what you get for the money in any part you want to buy.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

wow, thats almost as cheap as the radiator I put in my PC...and mine is significantly smaller. I honestly wouldn't trust it. You'd be much better off going to a junk yard at that point and trying to salvage something that comes with electric fans and such.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did you talk to Keith at Custom Works, he has LS sway rads for 495, plus 95 for the two outlets, you have to tell them the size of outlets wanted, and the steam bung , he may also have know of others that fit and that work well, as he has done several LS swaps into our 2nd gen cars
    http://www.customworksproducts.com/cooling-fans-closeout-panels.html

6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

You paid over that for water cooling? You got screwed. My air cooler keeps my 5ghz(4.9) 6700k at 80c max stress test. Also computer parts are inflated in price right now.

Im going to give it a try. Usually they are made by someone else such as cold case or Northern.

7. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

It's a custom loop I made myself with 4 360 rads, most certainly did not get screwed

8. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Why would you need that?(honestly curious)

9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

you don't, it just looks cool, custom water cooling is a waste of money unless you have a bunch of GPUs right next to each other for a work station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A good AIO should only cost around $100-$120
    but really if you have the room, a beefy noctua cooler is much better and cheaper

76z28 likes this.
  10. badazz81z28

Some of you are doing exactly what I used to do...be cheap. I was the one who would buy a EBay radiator and try to retrofit a stock 4th radiator fan into it. Then I would ask a million questions here on how to install them together, what radiator hose works, how to activate fans etc...etc. in the end it got the job done, but it wasn’t clean. Moved up to the Dewitt, way less painful. Worth the $1000!! All day long. Came with everything I needed and bolted right in. Fans operated like a charm with the built in switch.

Now I have a $1800 C&R coming my way. EOC and PSC built right in. No external coolers trying to figure out how to mount them. How to route the hoses...worth it!

I essentially spent over $3k for a radiator because I bought 3x trying to save money. It would have been cheaper to buy the C&R the first round, only if I thought ahead. Granted most wont need a EOC or PSC, so something like the Dewitt is a good buy. I know some will frown on this, but my Summit Speed card and PayPal credit has help tremendously buying some of these items. Both have 6 months-zero interest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019