What is this?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by GPN, May 10, 2017.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Driving without one is dangerous only if you don't know how to handle the vehicle. We drove vehicles for decades without them long before the car manufacturers added them to the vehicles and had no problems. But, in those days, people were taught how to drive before being allowed on the road.

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Exactly, quit expecting or blaming everyone else to take care of you or when you screw up.
    It is a nice safety feature, but it absolutely should be habit you check the shifter before starting anything!!!!

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Mine was disconnected for years. My car never started THAT easy. The first time (the Lesson time) I hit the key without pushing the clutch in and the car lurched forward and I instinctively released the key. The car had moved forward about a foot or so. Luckily there wasn't a wall or anything in front. I can see its reason for being and will hook mine up when it goes back together.
    I also remember last year going to a local car show and after it was over the only 70 Z28 there was all packed up and the owner had the hood open. I went over and he couldn't get it started. Said it was like the battery was dead when he hit the key. You guessed it. The safety switch was bad. He jumped it and off he went. They had reliability issues.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    My purple wire is currently jumped because I don't have the switch. The problem is two fold. In my last car I had a neutral safety switch and I remember one time starting it with clutch in and once it fired I let it go and chirp! It was in first, died, but lurched forward. So even with a switch you can have a boo-boo

5. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    The switch in my car was disconnected when I bought it.
    Took the switch apart and cleaned it
    Reassembled and it's been working fine for years

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I know that most of you probably aren't old enough to remember cars without the clutch safety switch. For me, my 1970 Camaro was the very first car I owned that did have it. Even my 1970 Chevy pickup I owned at the same time did not have one yet. Pickups got them later.
    And, if you are old enough to have driven the old Studebaker pickups of the 40s, you remember even a different approach. In those days, the ignition key didn't start the engine. There was a separate starter button on the floor. GM put it down beside the gas pedal. Studebaker's way was to put it under the clutch pedal so you had to depress the clutch pedal fully to the floor to contact the starter switch. Maybe that was their idea of a clutch safety switch. The problem with that was that you needed to partially release the clutch pedal to release the starter switch when the engine started, but not move the clutch pedal so far as to engage the clutch when releasing the starter.

7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    this 1930 pontiac has it so you cam catch it with heel of your foot and the gas feed with toes at same time,i thank,,

8. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2016
    Have verified it is neutral safety switch. Are they available anywhere?

9. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I believe they are still available. Check NPD or Classic Industry.