what is this relay for

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by csett, Dec 4, 2012.

1. CamaroNmotion

CamaroNmotion Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, funny how things change (older and wiser.... I think.) I used to do the same thing as you in my 74 Z28, today I'm glad I never removed it or cut any of the wiring.

2. mssl72

mssl72 Veteran Member

May 8, 2003
    Southern California
    I like having the interlock working and in place. The original owner of my Z had disconnected the seat switches. I reconnected everything and it works just as it should. I always wear my seat belts anyway and insist my passengers do to. As Z28PILOT said seat belt laws are all over the place now. Avoid the ticket!

3. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC

Sweet !!..... I actually like the 74 seat belt system, the belts fit me perfect and I wear them all the time anyway now. The system so far has never failed.

What I'm having issue with is the 4spd start saftey clutch switch under the dash..... I'm on my THIRD one in 2 1/2 years. Actually I have by- passed it and may just leave it that way . My body won't contort any more to replace it.

That switch is a PITA .

4. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 8, 2007
    imperial pa
    It will also allow you to start the when servicing it. You can push the button and reach in and start the car. If its a automatic trans car.

zfool likes this.
  5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Used to do the same. It wasn't till the early 80's that I started to use the seat belts all the time. That was due to being in the military. When you came to the gate Guard they insisted you buckle up or they would not let you on Base. Now it it just habit.