what is this relay for

Discussion in '1974 Specific' started by csett, Dec 4, 2012.

1. csett

csett New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    ohio
    Can someone please tell me what this relay is and what its purpose is. Its located on the left inner fender

Attached Files:

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    I believe it's the override switch found in '74 and '75's it continues in it's connections to the interlock relay which I believe interlocks the seat warning system to the dash lights, ie seat belt warning light and park brake light.
    I've brought this up before but still don't know exactly how it works. I've always wondered about this on both my '75 and '74.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Yes, it appears to be the rare, obscure, useless, and undesirable seat belt interlock bypass used around 74 as mandated by the Feds. And, new car owners were fast fed up with the stupid thing so the Feds quickly switched to the buzzer to aviod a civil war in the US. :p

4. csett

csett New Member

Dec 4, 2012
    ohio
    can it be removed

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Yes, but you will need to also bypass the rest of the starter interlock so power gets to the starter without these extra parts.

This diagram shows it in the lower right hand corner.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/74eng.jpg

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I noticed one of those on my son's 75 Monte the other day.

It says "Start" on it but I didn't know exactly what it was for.
    I'm still learning!!! :D

7. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    Lol..., when I was 16, I had a '75 Nova. Me and some friends were always doing stuff to hot rod it up. Then one day after school we somehow disconnected some unknown part of the seat belt relay. ( still to this day, I have no idea what we did ), but we did discover that the car would not start anymore. - After messing with it for hours, we discovered if you stood outside the car and reached thru the window, it would crank right up, but if anyone was sitting in the front seats,..., no cranky...., - Soon after we realized if you lifted your butt off the seat, the car would start right up...,

And that's the way it remained for the rest of the time I owned it. - Friends would get in and we'd have to lift our butts off the seat before I could start the car. - Was a nice anti-theft device actually .:p

8. siberbunak

siberbunak Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Istanbul TÜRKİYE
    :D

There are sensors on the seats.

We heard similar stories of people hugging the steering wheel to move their back from the seats in order to start their cars :D

9. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Here is a good explaination. with pictures and exactly HOW to use the button on the fender.:crazy:

http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/carpet.html

Actually today with REQUIRED SEAT BELT safety laws pretty much everywhere and fines..the system is quite up to date..... you must buckle -up before driving off. Simple as that. Save your life and save you from getting a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt.

Problem was , back then not alot of general public wore seatbeats all the time. So it was considered an inconvience and annoying. Now big brother says we must buckle-up , so the 74 Camaro is protecting me from myself......LoL ..... actually it is kind of an antitheft device as well, not many people would think about this while they are in arush to steal your car. .

All this stuff still works on my car. including that big red FASTEN BELTS sign in the middle of the dash.....LoL....

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    ^ its funny . i dated a girl back in the day and she has a 74 nova 350 ( in the summer of 78, we were both 18 ) . it had the interlock with a bench seat . we would buckle the shoulder / lap belt behind us and just leave it buckled all the time . it was a little uncomfortable but i think she threw an Indian blanket over the whole thing ( it had a dual purpose ) .god forbid we would actually wear the belt . ah , youth . its wasted on the young ! now i wouldn't think of driving a foot without it on .

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    budro6968 likes this.