What fan shrould

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Scaleytail, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    Just got done replacing my motor mounts -the rubber was trashed ( distributor wrench!) ....with OEM rubber mounts. Now the fan sits higher and the original fabricated shrould is too low and scrapping. What does the average joe use for a shrould. It's a 350 and looking what fits a budget friendly building fits.

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I've always used the factory shroud (2 Piece Plastic) with a mechanical fan.

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
  4. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    Factory shroud here to with Energy Suspention poly motor mounts. It sounds to me like you have taller motor mounts than before or trans mount is worn out allowing the front of the engine to raise enough to hit the shroud.

5. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il

6. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    Actually, I believe the last owner fabricated his own shrould with the old worn out motor mounts. Trans has a new mount on it also. So now the question is a new shrould or go electric.....

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
  8. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oviedo, Florida
    A mechanical fan and a factory fan shroud (whether it's factory to the vehicle or pieced together) should cool fine. I ran that for many years and never once had an issue. I now have an ECP radiator with dual electric fans. It's a nice looking piece. I hate it. It cost too much and it didn't drop the temperature enough for the price. Fan controller was an extra $130 and it was dead out of the box. I figured I'd rather use the wiring and ditch the controller than send it back.

9. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oviedo, Florida
    In my experience, electric is good to clean up the engine bay. It won't really free up any noticeable horsepower and while I do like my electric fans, they are more trouble than they're worth. That isn't to say that I don't like my electric fans. Would I get rid of them? No. They blow the dirt out of the garage and into the driveway like a hurricane. Are they necessary? Probably not.

10. Scaleytail

Scaleytail New Member

Jun 12, 2016
    North Aurora, il
    Thanks for the honest answer. Might just keep the mechanical fan.....it's easier to deal with the devil I know ( mechanical) then the devil I don't know (electric). Of course it doesnt help having a 23 yr old son telling me electric is the only way to go.