What color for a rough 2nd gen camaro?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Scamp1978, Dec 21, 2017.

1. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I'm with SRGN. Keep sanding and blocking and it should look good enough for any color. It looks fairly close already.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Black primer.would be a choice. That way you could make choices in optional stripes and any other changes.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Another vote for white.

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    White shows bad gaps worse. Red tends to blur more. I painted my first car red. First paint job. Body work didn't show very bad. Darker colors for bad gaps. Blues and greens. Lighter colors for worse body work. Look at lots of pics on google images to get ideas.

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Long board and 36 grit is the first thing you use when doing the plastic work on a job like that. Run the board with 36 over bare metal to find any real high spots and tap them down. Then slather a heavy coat of filler the entire length of the seam. Cut it down with a cheese grater while it is soft and then long board it with 36. After you get it straight then you can work on putting finishing plastic on and block sanding it. Whenever I have done skins I have had filler from the upper body line all the way to the lower body line the entire length of the quarter. Right now the entire upper half of that panel is probably one big low spot. Good luck.

mark wagner likes this.
  6. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Paint it matte black. Paired with nice chrome or polished wheels, it'll look lean and mean. Gloss black is what amplifies rough body work.

7. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    Elbow grease! that's the secret to getting from to rough to rouge. Put it on, sand it off. Get rid of the small sanding blocks, get a LONG rigid board and a long flexible board. Believe it takes weeks ans mean weeks (months) of fill, sand, fill, sand...highbuild..you get the idea.

you can get that body as smooth as glass if you have that vision in your head. If the vision in your head is "rough" that's what you will get.

My car full paint just got finished about 3 weeks ago, I started "paint prep" in October last year.

Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

8. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    I agree with most of what the guys have said. Richie Schmidt, Phat80 and a couple others gave excellent advise. White shows the least imperfections, black the most. I personally do not like pneumatic long boards, I like the 8 inch DA with 36 or 40 grit paper for getting a panel straight followed by long board (non pneumatic) with progressively finer grits (80-180-220). I also use guidecoat on everything even plastic (bondo). when applying plastic(bondo) spread a thin layer over the entire area, not just the low spots, as they will sand differently than what is already there, and will be high spots next time around. so be patient, take your time, and have fun! make it the car you want it to be and don't settle for "rough".

9. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ

Mark,I figure that he has no reference point for what is straight. I had quarter skins on my car once. There was a 4 foot long 1 foot wide low spot about half an inch or more deep. It was where the old quarter and new one met. I think it took about a full gallon of plastic and 10 hours of sanding just to get both quarters "roughed in". I didn't do the quarters,I was a 17 year old kid who made the mistake of trying to make my car nicer by stripping it to bare metal and repainting it with a $50 budget. LOL

My take is that with quarter skins they won't be straight until you dump at least half an inch and half a gallon of filler over the entire seam.

10. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    Yeah, I have installed a few sets, and the amount of work involved getting them straight is huge. I once had a 71 SS / 4 speed shell that was rust free, but needed a full quarter, I sold it because I couldn't find a full Quarter (20+ years ago) that I could afford. I would rather put on a full quarter than a skin because they are less work overall, and the end result is so much nicer.