What color for a rough 2nd gen camaro?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Scamp1978, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Scamp1978

Scamp1978 New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    I've been doing body work on my camaro for a few months now, and it's been more like surgery, both rear quarters had to be replaced, parts of the front fenders, floor pans, all of it. After duraglass and Bondo sanding i've realized the car isn't going to be perfect. The car was originally black then painted red (the old school bright red that I really like), but I want something that is easy to paint, doesn't show to many imperfections and cheap, (I think red might be the best option) . Any help is appreciated. IMAG0065.jpg IMAG0064.jpg IMAG0061.jpg
  2. Alex n

Alex n Member

Oct 8, 2014
  3. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    Are you using a long board to sand those quarters?
    Blown Camaro likes this.
  4. Scamp1978

Scamp1978 New Member

Dec 3, 2017
    I haven't used one much yet, I figured I'd use one once I got the filler build up high enough. Should I be using one already? The block I'm using is a 3m about 4in by 2 in maybe.
  5. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Like they have recommended, white will bring the least amount of attention to flaws in body work. Light colors in general will not reflect poor body work as badly as dark colors, with black revealing even the slightest imperfection. Reds are generally one of the most expensive paints to purchase due to the cost of the pigments.
    Blown Camaro likes this.
  6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    Glossy red is pretty bad for showing wavy body work too. A not too shiny white or silver is pretty for giving, beige or other light color is not too bad either. A semi gloss black or dark green might do the trick and it's fairly popular these days. Filler and block sanding can do wonders though.
  7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Black )then paint it over and over again then again, where every it needs work,and any where you don't like it,until you do ,Paint will match. Then it will be org. color and look wright. Then clear coat ,you will love that you did it.
  8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Black is nice but a biatch to keep clean. Here's a pic of my 78 Z28 I ordered new when I owned it.
  9. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Get a pneumatic inline sander and learn how to use it. Lay on a decent coat of 2k primer over the straight bodywork and block the car down. Then paint it whatever color you want :)
    Blown Camaro likes this.