What brand die grinder(s) do you own?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 76_TypeLT, Mar 4, 2010.

1. andrew1977

andrew1977 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2006
    parksvegas, BC
    iv got a couple mac die grinders.... ones dead and the other is falling apart (but works). i put ALOT of hours on them though (almost every day for about a year)
    [​IMG]

i used to buy alot of mac stuff, but some of the tools do not stand up to everyday use. i now buy only snap on

id recomend CP... my dad has one that has seen WAAAAAY more hours then my mac ones have, and it is like new.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. jkobs

jkobs Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Richmond, WI
    Sounds like IR is the way to go - what size discs does everyone use to prep metal before/after welding? 2" or 3"?

3. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I have 1 Ingersol Rand, and 5 or 6 harbor freight ones I picked up on sale for 7 bucks. A couple is right angle, a couple is straight, and even 1 4" angle grinder.

All have worked great.

I use 3" wire wheels most of the time... Also prep steel with an elec. 4.5" angle grinder with flap wheel/disk if it's a larger part or heavy scale/rust

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Dotco. The best ,used every day for 15 years at work , may have been 10 years old when i got it they rebuilt it at lest once when i striped the nose, when i got it hung severial times in one day.

5. BTYM

BTYM Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Sterling, colorado
    I've got a couple husky and a couple harbor freight. They're cheap, but they work well for me.

6. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2010
    SanAntonio Tx
    Roto-Zipp. Kinda have to hold it with both hands.

7. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Harbor Freight. I've got several that I've been pounding on for better than 20 years.

8. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    I guess I will resurrect This old subject, My goto die grinder has been an all aluminum Sears since 1873, I was porting a set of heads yesterday and it finally quit! I have a IR straight air grinder and it works well but I hate the amount of air it uses and the hose is hard to handle. Last night I ordered a new Makita on line, we'll see how it works. Wonder if Sears will replace mine?? LOL!!

9. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    Make that 1973...

10. Maine1

Maine1 Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Franklin County, Maine
    Ever since I was a kid working in my uncles shop back in the early 70's it was drilled into me "OIL IS CHEAP INSURANCE" be it car, truck or tool and that habit has been followed to this day and done me good.