What are the typical characterisics of 350's vs 383 strokers?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Chevy 350, May 29, 2009.

1. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    Ive never driven a vehicle with a 383 stroker in it and was wondering the usual characteristics between 350's and 383 strokers. You know, stuff like hp, torque, and rpm's between the two
    Ive been thinking a lot about what Id like to do with my new car and have a 350 torn down from 2 years ago thats ready to hot tank

How much extra does it usually cost to have machine work done to turn a block to a stroker?

To give you a better idea of what I was looking at, here are some things I would like to incorporate
    Holley 750 double pumper, performer rpm intake, performer rpm aluminum heads, all roller engine, forged 4340 speed pro flat top pistons, forged 4340 scat rods, forged 4340 scat crank, high volume oil pump, MSD ignition box and msd dizzy, comp xtreme energy cam. I dont know what duration or lift because Im not good at picking those out

Was wondering what ballpark estimates of HP would be of this set up in either a 350 or a stroker. Im no good at piecing this stuff together so suggestions are welcome

This is of course pending availability of overtime at work

2. Simon@London

Simon@London Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2009
    London Ontario
    You can buy a stroker kit fairly cheap now depending on what you actually need. If it's just bottom motor assembly you should swipe one or build one for 1500 tanked, balanced, assembled.

The difference is stroke of cylinders. A 350 has a 3.48 length of stroke making and using 350 cubic inches of engine, stroked out it would be 3.75 per cylinder making your app a 383 cubic inch and much better volume of room for air/ fuel firing chamber. Everything you listed I am not sure since your crank experts here will have to fill you in.

You could easily make 400 RWHP with that engine and a whole lotta fun.

3. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I swapped all my parts from my 355 to my 383 all else the same except 383 was at 11.29:1 and 355 was at 11.57:1, both motors ran dead even. Once I swapped a few cams the 383 went 1 tenth faster than the 355 60's went down in the 1.5's for the 383 and the best I ever had with the 355 was 1.60

4. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If all you will be using from the old 350 is the block, you might as well build the 383. It is likely the block will need to be bored, so the machine costs will be pretty much the same, although a 383 might need to have the bottom end clearanced for the additional stroke. The only difference between the 2 engines with regard to parts are crank, rod and pistons. If you have to purchase these parts for whichever engine you choose, the cost difference will be minimal.

The additional cubic inches of the 383 will give more HP and torque, although a well built 350 won't be that far behind. Most here will say go with the 383, and since you have the choice, you might as well just do it. Good luck.

5. 1972L

1972L Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    If all is the same (comp ratio, cam, heads, induction, exhaust etc....)
    a rough guesstimate is 35hp, 40 lb/ft torque.

6. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

May 23, 2007
    MD

What heads? Almost sounds like your heads were holding you back. I dropped a full half a second when I switched from double humps to my brodix track 1 heads.

A lot of people think 383's are the holy grail. Dont get me wrong my 383 runs great but a properly built 355 is no slouch. The 383 makes more torque. It is one of those deals if you already have good parts for a 350 then keep it a 350 but if you need new parts then go 383.

Personally I would take a destroked 400 (AKA 377) over a 350, 383 or 400 any day of the week. Take the short stroke and huge bore and couple it with huge flowing heads and a monster solid roller and let that baby wind to the moon. :D

7. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    Okay. This is one of the things I was wondering. Some people make them out like theyre the only way to go or something but never really saw any tests done on these engines against each other with somewhat identical components

If anyone has any suggestions as far as keep this or pitch this, Im all ears. Depending on overtime availability, I might be looking to spend up to $5K on the engine not including the machine work. Maybe a little more

Also might go with a TH400 with some sort of shift kit a 4.11 posi
    Long tube headers, maybe flowtech or something, and 3" exhaust. No idea on mufflers as of yet. Maybe flowmasters?
    X-pipe would be neat too

8. onovakind67

onovakind67 Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Fairfield, CA
    A real 383 has a shorter stroke than a 350, a bigger bore than a 400 and still was never known as any kind of a high revving motor.

9. 1972L

1972L Veteran Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Miami, Florida
    Anyone got a desktop Dyno?

Going from a 355 to a 383 increases displacement by 8%
    Given that all stays the same, you can expect an approximate 8% increase in power.

If you had a 350 and wanted to ditch the crank and pistons, balancer and flywheel to gain 8% more power, this would not be cost effective as you would be spending more than 8% of the cost of re-building your 350

However if you started from a clean sheet of paper, where all you had was a bare block, it would be cost effective. You would see that approx 8% gain for about the same money as a 355.

10. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

May 23, 2007
    MD

Its all in the heads. What do you expect from a motard? I mean yeah well you know what I mean. ;)

But a destroked 400 is an absolute BEAST with the right cam, heads and compression.

Dont get me wrong I sure as hell would not mind having this factory race car thats for sure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]