What a diaster

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by muscl car, Dec 4, 2017.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have my Camaro over at a new chassis fab shop getting some updates to the cage and redoing interior sheet metal

What this new shop has found really makes me mad what the original shop did . so far we've found sub standard welds including the shoulder harness tab on the cross bar only welded on one side . Also seats are mounted to high and just using a nut/ bolt and washer to secure to the floor

Also the package tray and bulkhead sheet metal wasn't done correctly , still have to redesign the seat mounts to get me sitting lower

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No photo's, because they didn't have digital camera's when I built mine, but because I'm on the tall side,
    I mounted the alum seat directly to the floor.
    Just welded small alum stock to the front & back to keep it stable, with multiple bolts through the floor.
    As long as you brace everything, you don't have to worry about the seat pulling through the sheet metal.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

3. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    Chuck it sounds like you new shop has their chit together. Your former dhop should be made aware of their oversights, but then just move on. I have had similiar experiences while building my car and have found it's often just a waste of time when you're dealing with substandard work. Be safe.

muscl car and Blown Camaro like this.
  4. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Always, always, ALWAYS inspect a shop's work before you pay them! I did not do this and got burned BIG TIME in the past because I saw other cars they did work on and automatically thought mine would be up to the same standard which it was not! Also, it is your life when you are running your car and you need to check every fastener, every nut & bolt before you make your first pass. No matter how good you think they are, they could have got interrupted by a phone call or a walk-in customer and left something loose on your car. CHECK EVERYTHING.

Smokey15 and muscl car like this.
  5. muscl car

Part #1 of the many updates

This is my new alumimum bulkhead package tray that is now NHRA legal for a fuel cell in the trunk

This looks so much better than the previous shop did !!!

1207171552.jpg 1207171552_HDR.jpg

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    That looks beautiful. Really nice work.

muscl car likes this.
  7. muscl car

Thanks , I'm very happy on how it turned out

8. muscl car

Here's a better pic of the bulkhead

1207171929.jpg

9. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Wow! Very, very nice :bowtie:

muscl car likes this.
  10. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    damn thats nice Chuck, how much just for the rear tinwork???

muscl car likes this.