welding for dummies

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Pc3, Nov 14, 2007.

1. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    ^^^ I was kinda lazy. I'll have to get some new flapper wheels to keep on the cart, then I'll used them just for welding prep.

2. ecenur

ecenur New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    toronto
    I also like the Miller machines a lot, they have a couple of the best mig welding machines. I think if you want a good welding machine, then Miller is the way to go.

3. Lrader99

Lrader99 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    I wanna play too. Here is a bracket I welded for a dash support bracket:
    [​IMG]

The little hole in the middle is supposed to be there it is a mounting point

I respectfully disagree. I have a Lincoln 180C and I love it. Miller vs Lincoln is an age old rivalry I think it comes down to preference. Miller does some really cool showcases and some cool builds to show off their stuff but Lincoln is just as functional for less money(most the time)

4. Lrader99

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    JONESYFXR: If I might make an observation...It looks like you may not have your C25 regulated correctly. There should not be that much splatter and weld discoloration with proper MIG welded.

You mentioned you are using 1 x 2" box, from the pics it looks to be at least .120" wall. My preference is that .025" wire is a bit thin for this application. I would prefer to use .030 or even .035. Make sure you consult the chart inside the lid of your welder. The charts are fairly accurate but I tend to prefer slightly more flow and slightly less amperage than what the chart dictates.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. Lrader99

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    If your welder set up is exactly as pictured than you have the wrong shielding nozzle on your machine. The nozzle you are currently running is for flux core wire not for solid core with a shielding gas. In the packaging with your welded should have been a different nozzle that almost completely covers the tip. also make sure you use a .025" tip with .025" wire.

6. Lrader99

Sep 18, 2005
    NW Georgia
    ...ok now I feel dumb for posting on a 2 year old thread....wow..guess thats what you get for posting after 11 pm.

7. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Thats ok, nice looking weld!!

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    "Spatter" is too much wire feed speed for the amount of voltage used.

The wire stabs into the puddle discharging droplets all over the place...

when the WFS vs Voltage is set correctly the wire melts into very fine droplets and the arc carries them across a small gap to the work and deposits them in the puddle without spattering all over.