welding for dummies

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Pc3, Nov 14, 2007.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Mark, as a bonus, with those Tig machines you can weld with stick too;)...they are all CC(constant current) machines.

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
  3. Bobalos

Bobalos Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Hey John,

Do you have a chart of the general guidlines for TIG'ing certain metals & thicknesses??

IOW, I was playing around with some 16G SS the other day & was having a heck of a time trying to figure out why I was burning holes through it. turns out I had too much current (duh, right....... LOL).

If I had a chart of what thicknesses of what metals were "about" what current that would help a lot.

thanks amigo
    Bob

4. zachisageek

zachisageek Veteran Member

May 3, 2007
    Greenfield, WI
    Got two welders today:
    Miller Econo Twin HF TIG
    Chicago Electric MIG
    Cart
    Lg Argon bottle

All for $850

I can tackle my seat brackets, SFC, and exhaust now.

5. f-body

f-body Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I bough a Miller syncrowave 180 about 5 years ago. Its and ac/dc TIG and arc welder. I need to practice on the tig but I can arc pretty well.

6. zachisageek

zachisageek Veteran Member

May 3, 2007
    Greenfield, WI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silly question for John or anyone else that wants to chime in, will this loop be strong enough if I didn't have 100% penetration?

Miller suggested > 200A for welding 1/4" thick material, I was working at 60A and blowing the breaker repeatedly. I have a good amount of penetration, but it was not going all the way through to the back. Will the amount of weld I have here be safe enough in the event of a driveshaft failure?

7. ChevyD

ChevyD Veteran Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Canada
    I'll ask here first since this is the "welding" stickey. Has anyone welded a cage with a lincoln 180 mig? I need to play with it a bit more before I start welding the cage together, just wondering about anyone else's experience with this unit.

8. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    OK guys, I Finally bought a welder. I found a Lincoln 140T for a price I couldn't refuse..........$449. I just bought my Ar/CO2 mix bottle and a cart. I just started playing with the welder. I have some 1x2 box steel I was welding. I don't have any pics right now. I know this is not a powerful welder, but for sheetmetal and mild fab work I think I sould be fine. I'm using .025 solid core wire right now. I'll post pics when I get home from work.

Let me know what you guys think.........
    http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e762.pdf

9. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Here's what I have done so far......

[​IMG]

This is what I'm practicing on

[​IMG]

This is with solid core wire...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is with flux core wire. I think it penetrated better. I had to slow down the feed speed almost to one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What you guys think??

10. blak300zx

blak300zx New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    greer,sc/hampton,va
    ya with flux core you will get beter pen. but keep that in mind when you want to do body work and remember when welding ceanliness is godliness