welding for dummies

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Pc3, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Bobalos

Bobalos Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2005
    As if the MIG was not enough problems for me, I done went out & bought me

[​IMG]

Bob

2. Pc3

Pc3 Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2000
    CT
    Nice lets see some demo's

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Yeah put that thing to work and they see some pics.;)

4. Bobalos

Bobalos Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Well I did some stuff. just a little shelf for the freezer out in the garage. it was kinda fun & real simple flat, welding. I had a little trouble, but it came out OK in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob

5. TNT

TNT Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2004
    Owego NY
    Any of you guys with Tigs need to have a gas lense. You can hang the tungsten out 3 inches and still weld clean. The standard tip that came with my tig welds like crap with the tungsten out more than .200.

6. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Yeah, I think he lost his gas coverage, or either had too large of a gap between the two pieces and it sucked air in from the back side. May need to add a bit more filler as you progress along the joint to, it looks just a bit underfilled at the toes, almost undercut.

That should serve it's purpose though;) Just added those comments to try and help, it wasn't meant to judge or belittle your welds...:shy:

7. Bobalos

Bobalos Veteran Member

Dec 6, 2005
    I got a handfull of gas lenses with the welder, but did not know what they were until after I started playing around with it. Your right it does make it weld a bit nicer.

If I did not want to know I would not have asked in the first place. ;). dont worry about me John, Im not some small block sissy thats gonna cry if you hurt my feelings. ROFLMBO. Where is Wayne when you need him??? LOL.

Bob

8. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    He couldn't afford hauling around that extra weight and had to sell it......NBL Wayne

9. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida
    John, what is a decent TIG? Don't wanna spend more than I need, but want enough machine to do the 4130 .085 cage tubing.

10. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Mark, I like any of the name brand stuff. You can weld that material with any of the smaller amperage machines. Here's some specs on two of the name brands....I'm color blind when it comes to these machines, but I do tend to favor the Miller for Tig...again that is just my preference, they are both great brands in my opinion.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/tig-welders.asp