welding for dummies

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Pc3, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Pc3

Pc3 Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2000
    CT
    anyone have one! I sure could use a book
    tis quickly becoming very discouraging making a 1/4 of a 1/4 mile pass

2. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Uh-oh.....I hope this doesn't mean that there is more carnage pics coming soon......

3. Marv D

Marv D Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lets just say there was an aborted last T&T session when some welds let go. No real damage to anything but his ego ;)

4. MEAN_SBC

MEAN_SBC Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Amarillo TX USA
  5. Pc3

Pc3 Veteran Member

Jul 6, 2000
    CT
    yea I'll say... not some much the ego but the fustration!!!
    have made 5trips in last 3 months trying to get this tiolet to go straight to no results.
    The f"in car launches Hard real HARD but its meaningless if It heads straight for the wall or centerline. what pisses me off the most I had the tiolet going straight,just had some issues with the rev limiter. that issue was addressed then I decide i was going to tub it,.ppprrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp! back to square one.
    the welds on the right side ladder bar brackets seperated.
    working on your back gets OLD quick. I'm getting old man!!!

6. craggar

craggar Veteran Member

Jul 28, 1999
    edmonton
  7. Maliboost

Maliboost Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 18, 2001
    I have a buddy in Flordia that runs a chassis shop & his famous line is "real welders have 220 volt plugs on them.".

Dont get me wrong some of the new inverter type TIGS are awesome, but how many folks have them???

Bob

8. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Pc3, Email or PM me some close up pics, maybe I can help. Pics are worth a thousand words. I inspect welds everyday, all day, here at work.
    Give me some details on the machine settings you used and we can go from there.

9. PaulyZ

PaulyZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 21, 1999
    Rome, N.Y. USA
    As I recall the Lincoln Welding website has some instructional material.

I would tend to agree with your friend. Although I have done some amazing stuff with inverters on the low end (below1 amp, less than 1 sec TIG spot welds on stainless) I have never run one on the high end. The probably run great but some of the smoothest TIG’s have been the old school powerhouses w/ a TIG module.

10. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    ....and so does Miller. I'm color blind(not really) but I don't really have any brand favorites, we have both Miller and Lincolns here at work, and some of the 500amp CC(stick) machines are over 40 years old and still going strong.