Welders

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 79RedZ, Aug 4, 2017.

1. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    Ok guys. Looking for some insight here. I'm looking to get a welder. Let me start out by saying that currently my barn isn't set up for 220. I also, don't see me doing enough where I would need that kind of a welder. Let me say I'm not an experienced welder, but I've had the chance to do a little bit of welding at my work. So I'm looking at 2 different welders

First one is a Hobart.
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-handler-140-mig-welder
    I would need to buy a cart, so it would cost in the neighborhood of $650. I found lots of positive reviews and not much bad.

Second one is a Eastwood.
    http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-mig-welder-135-amp-and-cart.html
    With some discounts and shipping cost it would be in the neighborhood of $350. I found a lot of positive reviews on this too.

Nice thing with the Hobart is that the store is local to me, not so much with the Eastwood. I've done some searching on Craigslist but I'm skeptical of picking up someone else's cast off. I've also have looked at Millers but the price ramps up on those.

So does anyone have real world experience with either of these 2 welders?

Thanks, Joel.

2. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    I have the Hobart 140 and it works great for just about everything I have. The only issue I have with it, is when I want to build stuff for my tractor, it really doesn't have enough ummphh for the heavier steel. But I really like it for most things. Nice thing is Miller parts fit it.

3. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a Hobart 180 with the spool gun for alum (haven't tried it yet), only drawback is 230 volt, if I was to need to weld somewhere else I could always take my generator, I made a cord up to plug welder into the 230 volt twist lock receptacle. Great welder. I'd stick with Hobart, Miller or Lincoln, you'll be able to find parts forever for them Hobart is made in USA. Lots of parts interchange between Hobart and miller, drive wheels, weld gun tips, spatter shields, easy to find stuff on Amazon.

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    the only reason I no longer have my Hobart handler 140...is I now have a Handler 170

GREAT machine

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No clue about the small 110 machines, I have the Miller 250 TIG and MIG.
    My 2 cents is NEVER buy a cart, it should be your 1st project when buying a welder :)

Good luck, you will love having your own machine!!!

budro6968 likes this.
  6. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    Eastwood's customer service is outstanding. I have a Miller matic 251 and love it. Wanted to learn alum and bought a small Eastwood because it came with a spool gun. I had alot of difficulty trying to weld alum with the spool gun so I sold the whole set up. Bought another Eastwood, this time TIG to try at aluminum again and failed miserably. Not the welders fault. Mine. But both experiences with EW and their dedication to make customers happy was outstanding. I don't know Hobarts and never used one but you will not go wrong with EW...
    They have great online tutorials to help you. The Eastwood MIG I had would run on 220 or 110 and is takes gas, which is key...do not get a flux core welder unless you don't mind terrible looking welds...the gas you want for steel is CO2 and argon. Which, BTW remember you will need a tank and gas so that's a cost to consider....
    P.s. I just looked at your EW link and that one was very similar to mine, only thing I would say is if you think you might have access to 220/230 in the future maybe get the next step up which I think is their 210 model

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. rgfast

rgfast New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Fleming GA
    I have a Lincoln 255 power mig which to me was just to large even when set up with .023 wire for butt welding 18 gage sheet metal so I bought a Hobart 140. This little mig works great for the small projects and would recommend to a friend, both machines have there place IMO.

8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Eastwood might be made in China if that matters. Tractor supply is a couple miles from me. I bought a Farmhand 90 flux core under 100.00 there. It works well and I had it at least 10 years. I also have a Snap on FM-140 it is huge and it's got a lot of features. That one was a C/L score. Both are 110 Volt. I use the flux core a lot more than the other. I don't mind the brown slag dust. I just grind it off or wire wheel it.

9. MAS 72

MAS 72 New Member

Jul 1, 2017
    I have the Hobart 140 and really like it.

10. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Got the Lincoln 210MP. A bit expensive, but I wanted to play with TIG someday and be able to weld thicker stuff. It runs on 240 or 120. Got it refurbed from the local welder supply store so it was a decent deal.