Weird turn signal issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 7.62fmj, Oct 20, 2017.

1. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    So took the car to work today; when I turned my lights on, the green dash indicator for my right turn signal was on but the amber lights were not. Turned lights on and off, turned blinkers on and off, no effect. When the signal was activated, the green light dimmed and brightened instead of blinking and the front right amber stayed off while the back right worked properly. After a somewhat spirited entry onto the highway all was normal and functioning properly. What should I be looking for? A loose connection maybe?

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Check that right front bulb and make sure it isn't bad. Sounds like a bad bulb.

3. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Not to sound dumb, but a bad bulb would cause the dash light to come on?

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    That was Chevys way to let you know you there is a turn signal bulb issue. Check that first.

5. 7.62fmj

7.62fmj Member

May 16, 2017
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Gotcha, like an old school warning light. I'll add it to tomorrow's list of stuff to fiddle with

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Those symptoms are very much like what happens when you have a bad ground up at one of the front lights. A bad ground forces the light power to run back through the signal filament to the dash light instead of to ground so the lights work correctly. If it acts up again, check the bulb and the ground at the light. You can easily hold a short wire from the light base to the body and see if it helps.

7. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    Yeah, bad ground was my experience. A corroded bulb and or socket would do the same thing. Usually its the front bulbs as they get hit by rain etc...

8. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Detroit Mi
    My 78 did that, corrosion where the front harness plugs in. Nail file did the trick.