WEAR PATTERN, TOO SHALLOW?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by nova75mike, Mar 6, 2018.

1. nova75mike

nova75mike Veteran Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Etters, PA
    So, the teardown on my Camaro continues. I pulled the diff cover off and was greeted with this. I think the gear pattern is too shallow, but I've never rebuilt one of these myself and I usually dont have posi carriers. I used spools for the track. It has a 2 series factory posi carrier with a spacer plate to run the 4.10 gears. I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine, which should be in the 500 HP area, and the trans is being beefed up by a friend of mine. How long will this rear last, set up as is? This has less than 2,000 miles on it since last rebuild, but it was done on the cheap, just like the rest of the drive train. There's a certain engine shop in Dallastown that did all this work, that will never get any of my future business. I have quite a bit of $$ invested in this car already this winter, and a rear end rebuild wasnt in the budget. Will this thing last another year till I can afford to rebuild it? There are ALOT of guys on here who are very knowledgeable, please chime in. thanks.

Attached Files:

2. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Without putting some marking compound on the teeth it's going to be hard to say where the pattern actually is. Even with the compound it will be hard to read because used gears don't mark the same as new gears. I would never use a spacer in a rear end that will see any high performance use. Actually I'd never use a spacer, period. There are many good after market 3 series LSDs out there that would do a great job in this rear end.

3. nova75mike

Mar 20, 2008
    Etters, PA
    My gut is to just yank this rear out of the car and start over, but thats another $1500 or so (to do it the way I want), and not cheap out. And while I have the rear out, there is no better time to install the new rear springs and Cal Tracs, thats another $800 or so.

4. nova75mike

Mar 20, 2008
    Etters, PA
    This was already in the plans. I ran 8.5, 10 bolts in a few 9 second cars over the years and never had any issues. Use good parts and weld the axle tubes.