WD-40 and Revving your engine

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 1dkm4me, Aug 19, 2011.

1. 1dkm4me

1dkm4me Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Phoenix Arizona
    So tomorrow I should have in my garage a very nice 80 Z28, Dirty etc.

The one thing I always do before messing with a new project is spray the entire non painted part of the car down with wd-40. I do this religiously, when engine is warm I do it and cold. I spray the entire rear axle undercarriage etc. I do high pressure wash it but it always leaves with wd-40 on it afterwards. it makes for a cleaner car, losens dirt and grime and stop rusting.

Revving your engine. Dont do it. There is a reason modern motors will not let you free rev your motor past 3000 rpm.

My srt8 will not rev past .

Our motors were designed to have a load on them, thus we have thrust bearings etc. Dont do it. it will destroy most stock motors quickly.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Huh... :confused:

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

4. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    it's hot in Texas right now - perhaps the heat is getting to the boy

5. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think I figured out the OP's Nic...
    It may be 1-Dennis K. Mecham for Me???
    But he isn't the only person to have owned a Macho-Z.....

Either way, his post does leave you scratching your head....

6. Matt T

Matt T Veteran Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Pawtucket, RI, USA
    Sorry, but aside from wasting gas, free revving your motor does nothing to it (as long as it is relatively warmed up so your oil pump isn't pushing molasses). In fact, you can probably free rev higher with less chance of damage than you can while the motor is under load. Assuming you don't float a valve or do something else internally damaging, what do you think puts more stress on a motor--free revving to redline or pulling a load that is using every bit of hp and torque that your motor has?

And how the heck did you decide to lump this in with the WD40 comment as some type of tip? (I'm not sure what you meant with that one either.)

7. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
  8. 1dkm4me

1dkm4me Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Phoenix Arizona
    Both are tips guys,

WD-40 has done wonders for my new projects and stuck bolts etc. its a great way to gently removes years of road dirt from under carriage etc.

As for revving you engine in neutral above 3000-3500 rpm. Its a fact, Yes I will produce some engineering documentation, but it has to do with fuel mixtures, timing, bearing strength etc.

Most new cars will not allow you to rev your motor pass 3000-3500 rpms. Thats a fact.

I have to look on the SRT forums for the SRT engineers gave a me a very long and complete answer as to why they do that. Timing, bearing issues, thrust issue, Auto transmission pump issues. Lots of good reason.

Just saying be careful.

9. 1dkm4me

1dkm4me Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Phoenix Arizona

1vette4me, 1gixxer4me, etc. I had owned a macho Z29 regret selling it. Never said I was the only person to own one.

10. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I've done a bunch of clutch dumps way north of 3500 rpm and while it was brutal on driveline components, it didn't seem to bother the engine.