Waxed my car for the second time ever!

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Skaal-tel 79, Jul 15, 2010.

1. 1980z28fromhell

1980z28fromhell Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2003
    hanford ca
    go to detail city.org and please learn the proper way to detail a car . as a pro detailer i will say you are going to get great results if you learn the correct processes and products ..good luck. im not going to get into a pissing match about detailing on a camaro forum

2. Huyzel

Huyzel Member

Blah.. wax it and its good to go.. all that other stuff is just bs.. they are tryin to make money on you. find the cheapest stuff and it will do just fine.. 1980z28fromhell can go to hell.. he doesnt know what he is talking about. J/k :) I agree with him.. learn the proper way to detail and in the end you will see the difference. Some people think paying 200-300 bucks for a detail job is a lot but what really goes into true detail/paint correction is labor intensive and requires great skill and attention to detail. I can easily spend 5-8 hours detailing a car. Wash, clay, compound, polish (several steps), then wax.. dress up all plastic areas and clean all the door jams, hood and trunk area. Waxing a surface will make it look nice for a short period of time. But detailing and taking out those scratches is the hard part. When you are done the paint surface should be as smooth as glass.

3. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Ohio
    Bingo!

The last 2 posts are right on the money! Get on the web if you're serious about learning how to properly detail a car. Meguiarsonline.com is my favorite spot, but Detail City and Auto Geek are good too, IMO.

You shouldn't wax every week. It's pointless, and can cause harm to your paint. A good wax should last, at the very least, several weeks, if not months. 3 or 4 times a year for a daily driver, done correctly, with a quality wax (or better off, a sealant like Meguiar's NXT 2.0) should protect your car's paint. A garaged car that's occasionally driven, like many of our Camaros, could be waxed less. I do mine once or twice a year. When water stops beading on your paint, that's a pretty good sign that it's time for a fresh coat of wax or sealant.

If you're serious about getting good results, first get a good tar remover- I use Stoners Tarminator- everything else I've tried is crap in comparison. Then clay your car. It removes contaminants from the paint like those little tiny rust colored specs, along with any old wax. Next step would be to polish with something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. This removes minor scratches. Then you'd put the coat of wax or sealant on with a foam or microfiber pad and wipe off with a clean microfiber towel, turning it over to a clean side while you work and/or switching to a new one now and then. Follow the directions on all of the products you use!

It sounds like a lot of work and it is, but your car will look better than it ever has!

4. dynobrat

dynobrat Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    yeah, and come to Brockville with us sunday August 1st!!! You will have a good time!

I still believe how you wash your car is just as important as waxing, if not more important. Especially on a black car. Ive had my car many years and I never use a wash mitt or anything just let the water wash away the dirt then use a wet microfibre chamois and gently wipe off the water, everyone has their own technique and what works for them. but generally everyone has the same goal, to keep the paint as nice as possible. It just takes patience, practice and due care

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  5. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario

6. dynobrat

dynobrat Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    hahah what!

Im Richard i have a black 79 also

i live in pet

7. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    I would also suggest checking out carcareonline.com. The owner did concours judging and knows his stuff.

I wax my car once a year, and before I use the wax, I use the 3M hand glaze polish, and sometimes the paint cleaner for the lower areas before the polish. Then I use the 1 Grand wax.

8. 72350RS

72350RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    USA
    My Z has never seen water in the form of a wash since I've owned it. Meguiars Final Inspection liberally sprayed, and a large, soft bath towel to clean. Then Meguiars Gold Medallion wax (not available in your local Auto Zone, etc... and now they have a replacement for it as the EPA shut down that wax for some reason), and a lot of micro fiber towels. A different color for each section of the car..

Takes a while, but it's worth it.

9. 70sbudget

70sbudget Veteran Member

Mar 21, 2008
    san diego
    final inspection from mequiars is amazing stuff as stated.