Waxed my car for the second time ever!

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Skaal-tel 79, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    Yep. Only ever tried it once before -- in direct sunlight with no towels to wipe off the wax.. needless to say I wasn't pleased.

two years later.. tried again with some nice cotton pads, microfiber towels, and mother's pure carnauba wax. Worked great!! did a couple side by side spots to see how it would turn out and I'm very happy. Went from dull gray to a dark black again like it should be.
    Just did it by hand this time. got about 1/4 of the car done before I got called away. Tomorrow I'll try a random orbital 8" buffer and see how it goes!

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    if wax makes the finish look a lot better, it means it's hiding swirls that you should tackle at some point with a buffer...wax is a protectant but it shouldn't be relied on for filling...easy for me to say though, don't look at my black car under flourescent light...I got a new Makita orbital for my birthday and its still in the box lol

3. MarcZ28

MarcZ28 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    waxing is super important! do it once a week and by hand! its worth it ;)

4. dynobrat

dynobrat Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    don't use a buffer, especially on black. If there is any advice to give, that would be it.

The secret to a applying wax is to constantly change your cloth to a new portion during the removal. If the buffer picks up any contaminants during the removal of the wax you will just put swirl marks into the paint and it won't come out!!!

You will do yourself a big favor and hand polish it. You can buy 25 microfibre towels @ crap-tire for $ 14.99, it shouldn't take you any more than 3-4 hours max for a full wax

once a week? That's a bit mental. Once a month or two yes, IF it's outside in the elements all summer.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I used to wax my 78 every week or two..... It looked like a finely polished clear coat over the single stage enamel.

The paint looked fantastic but I had a few places in the body which caught dirt and water.
    IMO.... The constant washing sped up the corrosion process in the quarters, fenders and doors.
    I eventually scrapped the car because of the body rot.

6. dynobrat

dynobrat Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    using hot water is the best thing to use when you wash your car, because it evaporates much quicker than cold. I've argued this point with a couple car pros. Cold water is no good if you ask me. Hot water will also rinse away the dirt MUCH more effectively, you won't even need to touch the paint unless its a film of dirt and you can lift it when you sham-dry it...sure it will take the wax off quicker but if you apply wax regularly it's no big deal. If the car is properly oiled and undercoated, you shouldn't have any accelerated rust happening. Just stay up on it, keep a watchful eye out and doctor any spots where you see it happening.

You should also DRIVE the car after you wash it, rather than letting it sit in one spot, or park it in the garage. That way the air movement helps evaporate any water laying in areas you can't see at first glance. I always open the trunk and mop up the water that lays where the trunk hinges are, and be sure to soak up the water on the rockers...and even under the hood...just small steps can extend the life of the body and paint'j"a"b
    Just like a dishwasher, wash dishes in cold water, you get poor results. Hot water, the dishes are dry and squeaky clean, even if you just use the sink.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  7. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    Heheh it's been about 108deg F this past week here. 42 celsius.

I don't think it would matter WHAT temperature of water you use here right now unless you're indoors it's going to be hot within seconds.

As far as the doorjambs and so forth you're definitely right. I clean my doorjambs fairly regularly but the trunk panel... :eek: I wouldn't drive right after washing either - just going to glue dust n dirt to the car.

In my area, washing the car does not accelerate corrosion. Salt, sand, 60-100% humidity year round and huge seasonal temperature changes are more than happy to speed the process up.

I think by hand is probably going to be plenty for me as well. still, can't hurt to have the buffer for a quick job some time. On sale for $22 at canadian tire, 8" orbital with bonnets.

8. dynobrat

dynobrat Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    dude if its a simoniz product you should keep your 22 dollars, seriously!! I know who you are, and your car, take my advice and use your hands, you will need 20 bonnets to do a car, you need 15 microfibre towels minimum to wax the car properly, you cant get away with just a few bonnets it wont be enough and you will just end up re-applying contaminants back into it AND have swirl marks, its a no win situation

you can do as you wish but i would never use one on a black car, UNLESS the car was completely waxed and you had hand-polished it first there was no wax on it. You could do it then if your pads are clean and new, just for a final buff, but never use it with wax on the car.

even pollen, for example, can settle on the finish within seconds if there is even a small breeze doing it outside...thats why changing the cloth very frequently is so important, you want the softest, cleanest fabric possible

if its the simoniz hand held that runs on batteries it is a useless piece of garbage, bought it, used it once and threw it right in the garbage where it belongs. A good buffer (like anything, costs money) and is one you can adjust the rpm and do it at a low speed

you said so yourself, its the first time youve waxed the car in a long time, so you can bet your hard earned dollar that you are going to lift all sorts of pollutants from the paint. Constantly change to a clean portion of the towel when you lift the wax off. Ive got 2 black cars I am not just feeding you lines i am trying to give you good advice!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. jdove

jdove Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 19, 2002
    Chattanooga,TN

^^^^+1..........The man speakes the truth..

10. dynobrat

dynobrat Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    what are you doing Sunday, August 1st, are you going to the Brockville show, you should come with us!!! send me a message, I will give you all the info if you are interested in going and dont already know about it.