Water temp gauge...

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by RattyRedZ, Aug 31, 2016.

1. RattyRedZ

RattyRedZ New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Maine
    Having problems getting my temp gauge to read right, I grounded out the temp sensor wire and it will jump hard right(hot) so the gauge seems like its ok, but when I hook the wire back up to the sender it will jump up to 100 when you turn on the key but never gets any hotter. I replaced the sensor/sender and it's still the same. My sender is not in the cylinder head, it is in the thermostat housing. Help.

2. RattyRedZ

RattyRedZ New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Maine
    Would a stuck open thermostat cause a reading that low?

3. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    Mechanical gauges are the way to go, IMO. Can you swap it out? At least connect one temporarily to see what reading it gives.

4. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    i cant help you with the wiring but i can say that our explorers temp gauge is broke in the cold position/open position. its better than the closed/off position because i can still drive it without stopping every mile to let it cool down i just have to watch where the needle is.

5. typeomang

typeomang Veteran Member

May 25, 2011
    okc, ok
    my sender was in the head. I had to go to quite a few parts stores until I got one that would read right. GM had many the same style senders and the ohm's are different........1SG (RET)

6. RattyRedZ

RattyRedZ New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Maine
    Problem fixed, moved sender from thermostat housing to lower spot on the intake, now it works, wish I had done that before buying a new sender:mad:

7. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Gardner, KS
    Do you still have your old temp sender? I ask because a lot of the aftermarket parts store senders tend to read hot. I would keep the old one around until you verify the new one stays working.

8. drewclonezap

drewclonezap New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Don't see how that could make any difference, but congratulations

9. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Maybe an air pocket in the tstat housing?

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    In the housing it will only read when the stat is fully open and be useless when driving and if it partially closes or fully closes. Never install it in the housing, always go for the drivers side head.

PalmbchZ28 likes this.