Water Pump question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Riley, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hi, I need to replace my water pump, it has a lot of play where pulley is mounted. Its in a 1980 Camaro 350/5.7
    I was wondering why my current water pump has threaded holes where I have the 4 bolts holding on my fan and pulley. When I look up new water pumps I'm seeing non-threaded holes. So can i just get the other style with non-threaded holes to mount my pulley and fan? And just use new bolts.
    The engine is not original, the block id comes up as a 350 TBI, maybe 1987 to 1994.
    And do you know if there is some kind of spacer i can use to get my fan closer to my radiator?

Thanks

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
  3. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Awesome thanks bourbon_scotch. Yes it does look like the water pump from rock auto are threaded for the 1988 camaro.
    The ones i see on ebay are not, They dont really specify what years so i'm thinking it will be sort of universal. Like you said, it shouldn't matter if i use bolts with nuts. Let's hope haha

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Make sure you get the correct rotation water pump. If it's a serpentine set-up, it should be a reverse rotation.

5. Riley

Riley Veteran Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Thanks for the replies. My systems takes 2 v belts.
    Another thing I was wondering. At the moment my fan has at least 7" of space between it and the radiator. I do have heat problems at idle so I'm going to get a better fan, a fan spacer, and a after market fan shroud. The thing I'm wondering is once I space the fan out close to the radiator. How would I be able to get the 4 bolts on that will hold my fan/pulley to the water pump. Giving that I get a water pump that has threaded holes. I don't believe I'll have the clearance to get the bolts back in. It seems like it would consist of radiator removal. Any thoughts?
    Thank you.

6. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    You could either put the bolts through the fan and spacer, bring into position and then tighten or, possibly, use studs in the water pump holes and then nuts on the fan end. Loctite or lock washers would probably be recommended for that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Riley likes this.
  7. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

May 5, 2015
    Grand Rapids Mi
    The factory fan shroud should be plenty if its in good shape. The fan blades should sit 2/3 inside the shroud ( 3/4 is o.k ). I run a factory clutch fan and shroud and I have 425 est. ponies. Never runs hot. Are you bolting the fans blades to the pump? a fan clutch would move the fan forward, and might take care of your heat problem.

8. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Feb 29, 2016
    Idaho
    You should be able to take the top half of the shroud off to reach the fan bolts. The direction of flow has been mentioned but, not the accessory mounts. If you have accessory brackets or anything like that that connect to the pump, be sure the new one has the mounting holes for them in the right places. GM made the pumps in a miriad of different configurations so, make sure you get the correct match.

9. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    South Eastern Ontario
    I would reference any casting numbers on your old pump when ordering a new pump. Competent parts person can hunt down a correct replacement easily. Very important to get the correct unit as others have mentioned.